What's new
What's new

Monarch 10ee metric change gear set

Boeingone

Plastic
Does anyone have any information about how to set up the change gears for metric threading?
I have a 1952 10EE that was sent to Monarch in the 80’s for a complete rehab.
I took the cover off the change gears and I believe the 127 tooth gear is in there. And I have a box full of other smaller gears. I just don’t know how or what else I need to set it up.
There is a factory plate mounted on the machine for metric threading settings. See pics.
Sorry about the pics. Can’t figure out out to rotate them.
Thanks,
Randy

08738381-1760-4BCD-BBBA-D352D4BF3CBB.jpg
C0920DA1-4979-4CFB-B376-C6C68578A531.jpg
C9A6899E-D7E1-42EC-900F-1C5E32D6BF1E.jpg

Shoot me an email through the forum's email function and I will send you the PDF instruction sheet that we include with our Monarch 10EE Metric Threading Change Gear Kit. It's really rather simple.

Apple has a an issue with the pics not rotating properly. Here is a solution. When I download pictures from the iphone or ipad to the mac I then duplicate the picture (right click, duplicate) delete the original, and open the duplicate picture in preview, then rotate the picture left or right 90 degrees and back to the orientation you want, and hit save. It will then load properly in posts. Sounds like a big nuisance, but you get used to doing it.

ZK can make them for you, or if you buy me a hob I'll make them. I still haven't been able to find a 32 Dp 14 1/2 PA hob on ebay. Just got a beautiful brand new Gleason 36 Dp hob for $25, though.....

Apple has a an issue with the pics not rotating properly. Here is a solution. When I download pictures from the iphone or ipad to the mac I then duplicate the picture (right click, duplicate) delete the original, and open the duplicate picture in preview, then rotate the picture left or right 90 degrees and back to the orientation you want, and hit save. It will then load properly in posts. Sounds like a big nuisance, but you get used to doing it.

there is an easier way; just select the image you want on your iOS device (actually, I've only done it on the iPhone ), hit "edit" and rotate the image (I just hit it 4 times for a full 360). thats it. no need to duplicate or delete anything. there is some additional orientation information added to the file when you do that, and it stays with the pic.

The Metric gear set I received with my 10EE are NOT helical gears, they are straight toothed. I’m thinking I can use my Horizontal Mill and My Dividing head to make the 2 missing gears from this set, the 50 & 75 tooth.

Does anyone know what the DP is for these gears? I am assuming the DP is the same for all the gears in the set and the only change is the Diameter of the gears increases as the number of teeth increase. I don’t have a Gear Gauge set or I could perhaps determine this on my own.

EDIT: I found another post that shows the gears are 14.5 PA, 32 DP.

Or perhaps someone can simply tell me what involute Gear cutter(s) I will need to cut the 50 tooth and the 75 tooth gears?

Kind Regards, Ken

32 Dp 14 1/2 PA #3 for the 50 tooth,

32 Dp 14 1/2 PA #2 for the 75 tooth

Outside diameter is N+2/Dp

cutting depth is what is marked on the cutter or Dp/2.157 or Dp/2.25 depending on manufacturer.

Travers has these Chinese ones for $50 each or you can buy higher quality from Ash Gear, don't know the price from Ash. Gears are an expensive hobby.

TTC 32 D/P x Cutter # 2 14-1/2deg PA HSS Involute Gear Cutter | eBay

TTC 32 D/P x Cutter # 3 14-1/2deg PA HSS Involute Gear Cutter | eBay

edit: depth is 2.157/Dp or 2.25/Dp. inverted it above.

Last edited:
You do not need to make both gears. If you do have all but the 50 and 75, the only pitch in use you do not have is 1.25 mm. You only need to make one of the gears to get 1.25.

Email me and I'll send you my complete metric thread spreadsheet.

John

You do not need to make both gears. If you do have all but the 50 and 75, the only pitch in use you do not have is 1.25 mm. You only need to make one of the gears to get 1.25.

John

My understanding is that he wants to recreate the Monarch set so as to "have the full set". Back in December, I had offered to make him the two gears when we make more Kits**, but never heard back from him.

** - scheduled, but not started yet, for being busy with other work.

I'm assuming that he does not wish to wait for generated gears that match what he has, and wants them for some impending need. Otherwise, I'm not sure why someone would want to mix form milled ones with the Monarch ones.

John

Thanks John I will pm you my email address.

I figured these were the threads I can’t cut based on missing the 50 & 75 gears.
93841AAB-C393-41E9-94C6-9B25A014697F.jpg6F3E2F91-70E4-4294-A92B-C284B80289D0.jpg

My understanding is that he wants to recreate the Monarch set so as to "have the full set". Back in December, I had offered to make him the two gears when we make more Kits**, but never heard back from him.

** - scheduled, but not started yet, for being busy with other work.

I'm assuming that he does not wish to wait for generated gears that match what he has, and wants them for some impending need. Otherwise, I'm not sure why someone would want to mix form milled ones with the Monarch ones.

I appreciate the communication, but I thought we left it that you would email me when you were going to make a run of the gears again, Have not heard from you and with a #2 & #3 cutter I will have everything I need to make the gears on my Horizontal mill, so I felt like that is something I would enjoy doing. Plus with those 2 cutters I can make a complete set for another friend who has a 10EE. :)

Back