What's new
What's new

Which tool post?

TravisMartin

Aluminum
I recently bought a 14C and am not sure which tool post would be best for it. I’ve used Aloris in the past and was happy, but I’m a rank amateur and would be glad to hear of any better choices.

In the Aloris line, I’m guessing that a CXA size would be appropriate, but I’d really like to hear from actual users of similar lathes before I buy something that doesn’t fit!

Thanks!

Travis

Best thing is to measure the distance (height) from the top of the compound to the spindle centerline. You can then look that up specifically on the various toolpost sites, as that is what matters in sizing the toolpost.

I just put an Aloris CA on my 612.

You need the measurement from top of compound rest to spindle center line to really answer that question. I would guess cxa or ca size. But we don't need to guess. With your measurement go to the Aloris website.

Then search each tool post. In the 2nd pic of each it will show tool dimensions. Then choose the number 1 tool holder for each. Also look at tool holder dimensions.

In a perfect world the toolholder will be sort of in the middle of its adjustment range. Remember that tool tip will be at the top of dimension B. And tool tip should be at lathe's spindle centerline. The holder overall cant drop below tool post bottom, nor rise past dimension C

If you really wanted to use a yool post too short, you could, but would need to add a spacer block under it.

Also the off brands, should also fall inline with Aloris dimensions:

Aloris CXA TP:
Super-Precision Tool Post CXA

CXA-1 tool holder:
Turning and Facing Holder CXA-1

CA tool post:
Super-Precision Tool Post CA

CA-1 tool holder:
Turning and Facing Holder CA-1

Edit: Rabler types faster than me. :D

Can you elaborate on "14C". Not challenging you but would like to learn, I have not heard of that before.

On a CK-12 x 30 I use a BXA, got in a 61-2 @ 16x30 and I use a CXA on that although it could be raised abit.

A square of tool steel ground flat (pre-hard/annealed) with a thru hole makes a nice spacer, you might have to remake the center stud.

In general I find that the smaller end of the scale fits what I want to do, which is mostly detail work and not dropping pounds of blue chips into the pan.

Back