i need a tachometer. do you have one of those. 2500rpm MG era. thanks Rich

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm all in on a number of pieces but the pictures are horrible so I can't decide. Anyone have some thoughts on how to get better pictures out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lectrician1 View Post
    i need a tachometer. do you have one of those. 2500rpm MG era. thanks Rich
    Sorry, all the tachs are sold...

-Dave

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rimcanyon View Post
    Sorry, all the tachs are sold...

-Dave
    Would you happen to have another 10EE tailstock bed clamp lever?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave,

Do you have a headstock rear upper cover compatible with the lever collet closer?

Ryan

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by reidry View Post
    Dave,

Do you have a headstock rear upper cover compatible with the lever collet closer?

Ryan
    AFAIK he did, and I had committed to buy it. But we haven't DONE it, yet.

OTOH, I don't actually NEED that feature, so if you do?

Email Dave and I can wait for another, given my "other" 10EE does have all its covers.

Bill Hacker

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave,

Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

Email Dave and I can wait for another, given my "other" 10EE does have all its covers.

Bill Hacker
    Bill,

I have a complete lever collet closer including the two piece rear headstock cover. I also have all the parts to assemble a handwheel closer and I have a 5C collet chuck.

I'm considering selling the lever closer but think it would be best to sell as a complete unit with the cover section. I was thinking of picking up the spare upper cover from Dave and sell it with the closer. Figured it was best to keep my current cover as the two piece cover is a very snug fit.

I'm not hard over on selling, but I just don't do much collet work.

OTOH I still haven't found a nice 8" 4 jaw independent direct mount chuck for my machine.

VR,
    Ryan

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill,

I have a complete lever collet closer including the two piece rear headstock cover. I also have all the parts to assemble a handwheel closer and I have a 5C collet chuck.

I'm considering selling the lever closer but think it would be best to sell as a complete unit with the cover section. I was thinking of picking up the spare upper cover from Dave and sell it with the closer. Figured it was best to keep my current cover as the two piece cover is a very snug fit.

I'm not hard over on selling, but I just don't do much collet work.

OTOH I still haven't found a nice 8" 4 jaw independent direct mount chuck for my machine.

VR,
    Ryan
    "In general", I am pre-disposed to see any and all "spare" 10EE kit get into good hands, mine not necessarily the best ones - not sit-forever, hoarded, nor end up in a smelter.

The newer (but more worn) of my 10EE needs only upper and lower HS-end castings to be complete. Even has the TA, though with "vettebob" recent production replica rod and bed-clamp, the OEM ones having been missing.

I have enough 5C, Rubberflex 9XX, Sjogren 2J, Hardinge nose or "loop" closer 2J, and 6" chucks BOTH can eventually leave here, "well tooled". Clock on "eventually" has yet to even be started. Prolly in my 80's I even live that long, so five or more years out?

REAR handlever (nor handwheel) collets are not in my game plan.
    Spindle bore is too tiny already. And I have already solved that problem with "nose art".

I'm still good on my committment to Dave to buy that upper cover, but.. I'd probably just bondo the lever closer mounting holes flush. Even so, given acquiring a rear upper cover casting doesn't begin to resemble any sort of "emergency" for ME?

Not even sure I read that right? You have two collet system sets, only one cover
    "Whichever"...y'all should decide if it makes more sense for you to have one that matches the collet lever closure you have. Covers for basic "safety", I can fab easily. Nice-looking, too, if need be. It just takes a LOT longer!

Page Two:

The 8" chuck here is so very seldom used, it's actually Chinese, bought flat-back. I've generally TRIED to recycle all-steel or semi-steel, US stud-thread mounts, but have had decent "CI" metric-stud-thread backplates from Shars and forged-steel metric-stud from Bison and Fuerda/Gator.

Both of those "offshore" classes of goods were at least "bought NEW" not beat-to-death.

If I need larger swing?

I have the Cazeneve HBX-360-BC, a nominal 14", max swing / bed clearance just an RCH under 16", and with ten-inches greater long-axis daylght (nominal 30") than the 10EE's. 7 1/4" SCA Swedish 4-J's for that one.

As said, the spindle arse-end upper cover casting is "not an emergency here".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m2salmon View Post
    Would you happen to have another 10EE tailstock bed clamp lever?
    I have one missing the ball, a common fate. I have been planning to braze a new ball in place, contact me if you would be interested. email is best: [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill Hacker
    I'm ok with whatever you both decide. The cover I have is the upper part and is cast iron. The middle cover came in two varieties, one to fit round dial and one to fit square dial, but the upper part fits both. It is missing the bracket that the collet closer hinges on. $30 plus shipping.

Dave

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rimcanyon View Post
    I'm ok with whatever you both decide. The cover I have is the upper part and is cast iron. The middle cover came in two varieties, one to fit round dial and one to fit square dial, but the upper part fits both. It is missing the bracket that the collet closer hinges on. $30 plus shipping.

Dave
    There yah have it. What raised a flag back before the virus hit as to which cover we were discussing.

I just moved the protective plywood all my 1942 covers have been hidden behind 'til it is safe they not risk being damaged.

Gots to haul it out and find a camera, as it wasn't considered a "repair part" so is not shown in the 10EE "round dial" manual.

There are only TWO rear covers on a Round dial. My two lathes have ONE full set on-hand.

Another in the center, on top. Two lathes with, plus I have one SPARE, surplus

And then the one to the off-side, closer to the spindle nose, over the starter/coolant-pump switch and motor-switch wiring-end. have for both, plus a spare butchered with a cut-away for a NEMA box.

Rear upper, complex curved, with spindle hole I shall go and photograph shortly is the one I seek.

Lower "almost flat" with modest curve to the edges as well, but they crack ALL the time, so I may as well fab one.

I do not seem to have a "middle" cover?

NB: My lone lower one apparently IS off a square-dial as it is about 3/8" and a bit wider, fore and aft vertical edges, than the R-D base casting is.

Still, it fits better than Home-Depot "project metal"!

Gotta glove-up...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK the tall, complex curved one is what I seek a "twin" to.:

10ee-rd-hs_covers.jpg

The smaller, plain one on the deck is the HS top CENTER cover.

That one is surplus from a round-dial part-out, so I do NOT need another one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK the tall, complex curved one is what I seek a "twin" to.:

10ee-rd-hs_covers.jpg

The smaller, plain one on the deck is the HS top CENTER cover.

That one is surplus from a round-dial part-out, so I do NOT need another one.
    I'm loving the vent slot / slat covers and the spindle hole trim piece if they happen to be surplus and available!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rakort View Post
    I'm loving the vent slot / slat covers and the spindle hole trim piece if they happen to be surplus and available!
    LOL! That's not surplus! I have TWO Round Dials to cover 1942 and 1944.

But the the trim items you mention are flzt stock, edges rounded. Not hard to shop-fab at all.

It's the casting that's not easy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dang

I've got a great cover, but for some reason some idiot had the slats and the cover part ways.

For sure it is easy to reproduce functional equivalents....even though they don't provide much function. It is all about style.

Now producing something with that same style and of cast iron like the OE pieces is another task as you mentioned.

So shout out to the world. If anyone has original cast iron slat covers for the upper head stock cover for a round dial I'd love to hear from you.

Happy memorial day and a huge thank you to all who have served!

Brian

LOL! That's not surplus! I have TWO Round Dials to cover 1942 and 1944.

But the the trim items you mention are flzt stock, edges rounded. Not hard to shop-fab at all.

It's the casting that's not easy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dang

I've got a great cover, but for some reason some idiot had the slats and the cover part ways.

For sure it is easy to reproduce functional equivalents....even though they don't provide much function. It is all about style.
    I'm serious! Anywhere used on a 10EE, the "slats" are DEAD EASY!

- use any of steel, stainless, shiney-wood, brass, bronze, even plastic.

- thick enough yah can blind-drill and tap from what becomes the concealed side for fasteners. Even the stand-off distance from the vent slot, under can be altered.

OEM simple curve to the edge, or high-grade REAL art-deco detailing of some sort is up to you.

Using Cast iron would be dumb, actually.

When you are doing TONS of foundry work? The whole world looks like pattern and your guys would cast a fountain pen, paperclip, or a Zippo lighter just 'coz it was a "freebie" sprued and gated off a larger item in the flask!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No argument they are dead easy to repop, but won't acuratly repop the OE supplied cast iron covers. If I went that route I'd end up doing slats for both of the HS end covers.

Anywho here is my naked cover in need of some CI slat covers! And after that where does it end? All the other covers!?

img_20200525_174053569.jpg

I'm serious! Anywhere used on a 10EE, the "slats" are DEAD EASY!

- use any of steel, stainless, shiney-wood, brass, bronze, even plastic.

- thick enough yah can blind-drill and tap from what becomes the concealed side for fasteners. Even the stand-off distance from the vent slot, under can be altered.

OEM simple curve to the edge, or high-grade REAL art-deco detailing of some sort is up to you.

Using Cast iron would be dumb, actually.

When you are doing TONS of foundry work? The whole world looks like pattern and your guys would cast a fountain pen, paperclip, or a Zippo lighter just 'coz it was a "freebie" sprued and gated off a larger item in the flask!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And after that where does it end? All the other covers!?
    Patience. Persistence. Dediction. REWARD!

As that modern "Electrolux" tank vacuum has illustrated.

Electrolux door to door salesman was SUCH a fast-talker... but turned out to be a hardworking person - that G'mum bought FOUR of the older model then-current units from him in one go.

Her own. One for each of three daughters. Her one was to sit unused for four years.

Now.. the salesman had started his speil, and before yah KNEW what he was about, had deposited .. ISTR .. it was four or five samples of different tribes and races of dirt right into G'Mum's lovely pride and joy Dusky Rose pink wool carpet.

Electrolux cord-tip in hand, he has made two full circuits of the sitting room walls, heading for the entrance hallway, before he notices G'mum's grin... and the "all manual" push-brush Bissel carpet sweeper in her hand.

"Miz Hacker? Where can I find an electrical outlet?"

"Young man, this house doesn't have electricity!"

And hands him the all-manual Bissel.

He didn't offer to slack-off nor break for a glass of water. Took a loooong time to get all those tribes of sample dirt clear OUT of the Wool.

The man was a good egg. She then bought the four Electrolux. Natural GAS wells, and income plus "free" gas from them, we DID have!

The storal of the morey?

Why, Pilgrim? You have a 10EE? Then you DO have electricity!

Even if yah have to Vee-belt the MG / Exciter pulley run to a longer-belted menage a troi to included a hopper-cooled hit and miss Fairbanks-Morse.. as pumped pesticides for our orchards!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill Hacker
    UPDATE:

Dave pointed me at fotos of the TWO PIECE HS end-cover.....

and I've bowed-out.

A ONE-piece .... for round-dial ... is the only one I am interested in.

Anyone else as can use the two-piece should "go for it" ....while it is still to be had.

Rumour has it they've quit making them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

UPDATE:

Dave pointed me at fotos of the TWO PIECE HS end-cover.....

and I've bowed-out.

A ONE-piece .... for round-dial ... is the only one I am interested in.

Anyone else as can use the two-piece should "go for it" ....while it is still to be had.

Rumour has it they've quit making them?

Dave,

I’ll take it, please let me know how to contact you.

Ryan