What's new
What's new

Monarch 10EE removal of carriage stop rod

dinotom

Aluminum
I just took delivery of a Nov 1944 Monarch 10EE. It appears to be in decent shape. I do machinery restoration as a hobby and I am going to completely tear this machine down and restore it to like new or better condition....and keep it!

I am going to clean the machine, de-grease it and try to get some measurements on the ways to see if there is any noticeable wear. To the naked eye they seem pretty good.

I need to remove the rod that has the carriage stop so I can remove the carriage assembly. All pretty easy except for the rod collar near the headstock. Before I damage it, can someone enlighten me the proper removal steps?

10EE_CollarforCarriageStopRod.jpg

Not really a carriage stop collar. Looks to be the "collar" that connects the gearbox output shaft to the feed rod. Need to get that taper pin out of there and all will be revealed. Measure the pin and make sure you are driving it out in the right direction! I don't recall there being two pins on mine however so slightly puzzled.

I am correcting myself....that is an ELSR (IIRC) which I know nothing about.......I initially thought I was looking at the the threading lead screw. None the less, get those taper pins out of there to take it apart! :willy_nilly:

I just took delivery of a Nov 1944 Monarch 10EE. ...

I need to remove the rod that has the carriage stop so I can remove the carriage assembly. All pretty easy except for the rod collar near the headstock. Before I damage it, can someone enlighten me the proper removal steps?

View attachment 257774
The sleeve in question is parts picture E-14, #55. If you don't have a round-dial manual, shoot me an e-mail.

There's a discussion about removing taper pins in this post: Directions on apron removal

Cal

Cal,

Thanks. I have the manual, actually two since one was in the cabinet in the lathe and I ordered one from Monarch

Back