What's new
What's new

10 we Tailstock?

Jaymce

Aluminum
In the process of cleaning and checking finally got the 10ee running and able to turn parts. I now turned my attention to the tailstock.

I noticed when I bought the machine the tailstock handle would back out an inch or 2 but not push the chuck forward. Then the chuck would move. When retracting the handle would screw in and seat before the chuck would move. When the handle was run out you could push it against the tailstock housing and it would move forward.

Today I pulled the handle and found the thrust bearing missing most of the balls. But I think I am also missing a bushing or something.

2 questions

1. Has any one sourced a thrust bearing from somewhere other than Monarch?
McMaster car has one for a 12mm shaft or 1/2" shaft but the od on both are a little smaller than the monarch one.

2. What's missing? I found one pic and it looked like there was a bushing that abuts the thrust bearing and goes rearward toward the handle. I'm having problems identifying that mart on the old monarch blueprints.

Thanks in advance for any help.
882e931df51a6609f8ee92fceaea47ae.jpg
bee9fc7bdf7c2ba034b063a244f083b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In this pic by DaveE907 it looks like there may be a spacer top center of pic left and below the retaining nut. Under the 3 piece thrust bearing.
That may coeerspond to ee-1378 the blueprint?
b2046a1f4cf260de3619446ba5d1c5bb.jpg

Thrust bearing source

If you do locate a good replacement be sure and post what you found. If i ever get around to going through my 10ee i need to replace several tb's. Previous owner left it outside long enough to season it well. They are still there just in rough shape.

In this pic by DaveE907 it looks like there may be a spacer top center of pic left and below the retaining nut. Under the 3 piece thrust bearing.
That may coeerspond to ee-1378 the blueprint?
b2046a1f4cf260de3619446ba5d1c5bb.jpg

It looks like he is missing the piece just left of the handle

If you do locate a good replacement be sure and post what you found. If i ever get around to going through my 10ee i need to replace several tb's. Previous owner left it outside long enough to season it well. They are still there just in rough shape.
I will. Mcmaster carr has some that are about .080 smaller by diameter.

EE-1378 ? not sure 100% but based on the blueprint and the image that is what I am going to try.

Bearing set I will be trying is McMaster Carr 6681K12. It is 12mm I'd but the one that is in there seems sloppy and the shaft measures sub .500. Going to measure it one more time prior to the order this AM.
37dcbc39dd78d98e1935b07ee27a91a2.jpg

For those following. Got this buttoned up today. There was a collar missing which I believe was the part I was wondering about.

The process was new bearing from McMaster Carr part # 6681K12 12mm thrust bearing. It was a little tight but I cleaned the handle shaft and it went on.

I then assembled the handle and measured the distance from the bearing to the face of the handle retaining nut.

That distance measured .945. I then made a bushing 1.250 x .930 with a 31/64 hole in it.

Then assembled the handle and installed the handle in the tailstock and inserted the quill. There is still about .075 play but I can live with it the way it is.
a703249585c05ae368674d4306076c25.jpg

Back