What's new
What's new

Monarch 10EE thread pitch issues

asg

Plastic
I am trying to cut threads on my 10EE for the first time (1943 round dial), and the thread pitches just aren't coming out right. I have been taking some measurements (dial indicator on the compound and rotating the chuck by hand for 4 revolutions) and the numbers aren't coming out as standard thread pitches.

Some of the settings and measurements I have tried:
In the "first position" (where A should give 3 tpi, B should give 6 tpi, C should be 12) I actually get 16.5, 33.6, and 64.5 tpi.
In the "second position (should be 3 1/4, 6 1/2, 13) I get 18.6, 34.7, and 70.7.

Similarly, the feeds seem to be off as well, when I set it to 7.5 thou/rev I actually get 8.4, when I set 1.9 thou/rev, I get 2.4.

The gears on the headstock seem correct to me (that is they should be in the coarse configuration and not metric change gears, I have the 48 tooth stud gear, two 63 tooth idlers, and a 24 tooth box gear).

Any ideas what could be happening here? (For what its worth, this is also the first time I am ever single pointing threads, so it could be something very basic I am missing)

Thanks.

I just want to verify that you have the half-nuts correctly engaged. The feed rod on a round-dial rotates even when the leadscrew is engaged, so it's possible to engage the apron feed clutch by mistake and have the carriage move. There's a mechanical interlock that prevents the feed direction plunger from operating when the half-nuts are closed and vise-versa.

Cal

Yep, I was using the feed clutch instead, it is working now.

I had a strong suspicion it was something silly like that. Thank you so much!

Back