What's new
What's new

Monarch 16CY Apron Removal and Cleaning

marka12161

Stainless
I just removed and disassembled the apron on my 16CY. The intent was to clean it, assess the condition, make necessary repairs and ensure the lubrication system is 100%.

Other threads have documented monarch apron removal so i'll focus on the stuff that may be unique to the CY.

First, remove the rod support on the tailstock end of the machine. Two 1/2" capscrews and a bit of persuasion and it comes right off.

The apron itself is connected to the saddle with four, 1/2" cap screws from above, another four from below and two threaded alignment pins from the fron that look like slotted head screws.

The hardest part is removing the leadscrew reverse rod, the leadscrew, the drive rod and the clutch rod from the qcgb. To do so you must remove two casting on the right side of the qcgb. The first is on the top and this exposes the pin that locks the leadscrew reverse lever in place (see pic) the second casting is on the right end of the qcgb and this exposes the gears for the leadscrew, drive rod and clutch rod. Once these are removed from the inboard side of the casting, the rods come right out. I'll post some pics to show all this.

These pics show how to remove the retaining pin for the leadscrew reversing rod

IMG_20191117_141452102.jpg

IMG_20191117_141257483.jpg

And these pics show how I rigged it and how to remove the other rods.

IMG_20191117_191535020.jpg

IMG_20191117_153824798.jpg

IMG_20191117_152215510.jpg

Apron is disassembled with the exception of the stubborn tapered pin holding on the half nut lever. The bucket of sludge (3/4" deep) came out of the bottom of the apron which means the oil distribution system wasn't distributing anything. I'll likely need to replace the bronze worm wheel for the power feed mechanism and possibly the worm as well. I need to clean it up to better assess its' condition. Also, i'm sure i'll need a pile of bearings. The various thrust bearings in particular are toast. Can anyone recommend a good source for bearings?

IMG_20191124_103011634.jpg

IMG_20191124_103042706.jpg

Looking good! I have finished the Taper attachment, tail stock and tool post.

I'm noticing differences in our CY's. My lead screw reversing rod has a coupler so I don't have to remove the retaining pin. Other than that, This is looking like the same process.

For My 10EE I had great luck getting bearings from LocateBB on Ebay. I think every bearing I searched for they came up as a seller(except the spindle bearings). I did have to message them so when I got multiple bearings they still only charged me one shipping.

I think the most significant thing about this post is how incredible Marka's workshop is.

I think the most significant thing about this post is how incredible Marka's workshop is.

Thanks. I'm blessed in that the Supreme Commander shares the defective project gene as me. The shop is basically divided into three 12 x 32 ft bays. One is basically dedicated to woodworking equipment with really good dust collection, the center bay has 16' ceiling height with a 3 ton chain hoist on a beam trolley, is vehicle accessible and is used as flex space. This is the space currently occupied by the Monarch. The third bay is dedicated to the machine shop. The whole thing is connected to the garage so i don't need to trudge through 3 ft of snow to get to it in the winter. I must admit, sometimes i just sit out there and enjoy the smell of the PB blaster. I'm hosting one of Richard King's scraping classes in May of next year so i've got to get the Monarch back together and out of the center bay by then. If anyone is interested in attending it's in Oswego NY about 40 minutes north of Syracuse.

Back