Monarch 10EE: Tooling?? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On those diode brass ends, I cheated and used a Hardinge chucker, I drilled the 1/4" brazing rod deep, then parted them off like baloney. I made a little heat sink out of a piece of aluminum can, to keep from overheating the diode when soldering the ends on.

Some of the diodes shown are the old style factory diodes, where the ends are crimped on to an insulated tube, with diode inside. If you take one apart you will see how it is made. The later factory diodes are enclosed, but the diode is soldered to the ends.
    The old style diodes can test good cold, but under power can lose connection at the crimped caps. Anyway, replacing them with fresh diodes is not expensive. One more thing on the diodes being enclosed, if there is a dead short in a circuit, the diode can explode like a firecracker spitting a bit of hot plastic, so wear eye protection if you have the cover of the module and powered up.
    I am working on a machine or two out in the weather, I will look in when I can.

2. Likes Mac007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I was able to run the lathe and make the Brass Diode Ends today.
    Plan to solder them on the new diodes tomorrow, and install them in the module and run the lathe some more and see what symptoms persist.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac007 View Post
    Well I was able to run the lathe and make the Brass Diode Ends today.
    Plan to solder them on the new diodes tomorrow, and install them in the module and run the lathe some more and see what symptoms persist.
    Grab two cheap pair of "hemostats" AKA "Kelly Forceps", one straight, one curved.

Look 'em up.

Kelley Forceps - Google Search

Any 'lectronics work they are heat sinks, third hand, truant parts grabber outta tight crevices - wotever yah need.

Lay-down and weight with a hunk of drop, clamp, or vise-grab one loop, grip yer diodes by the leads, they stay put and divert heat of soldering, both.

5. Likes Mac007 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m with Thermite on this one. Kellies are very useful. If you want a smaller version, they are called mosquitos. If you want stronger ones, they are called drivers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by medsar View Post
    I’m with Thermite on this one. Kellies are very useful. If you want a smaller version, they are called mosquitos. If you want stronger ones, they are called drivers.
    Useful for-sure.

About the ONLY thing I ain't (yet) used 'em for is their original intended purpose. Fast-clamping an artery full-shut so other work can proceed.

Mind. I ain't no Hannibal Lecter, but still.. I HAVE met the odd free-range damfool now and then as was sore TEMPTING to have a go at OJT!

You'd have to know machinists? Forever takin' s**t apart jest to prove we can put it back together again. Mostly, anyway.

Unless we git distracted by sumthin' more interesting to take apart..

Not sure we'd make very good medicalated chirurgeons, sech flighty priorities, but the other way' round might do as to more Old Iron "surviving the operation".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got all the diode ends made and diodes replaced today:

72d15311-1636-4353-9f31-3419df495f8b.jpg

9f5a7d0f-ae3a-41b6-821f-3babbbd310de.jpg