What's new
What's new

Monarch 12,14,16, 18 Leaking Shifter Handles

Will McRay

Aluminum
I done some searching on this forum and found one discussion on replacing the packing to stop the handles from leaking. What was not mentioned was the size of the packing to use and what is the right material or material to stay away from. I am hoping someone can provide some guidance so I can buy what is needed before I tear into the handles.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before any packing you will need to make the pin type face spanners in the two sizes required - so you can have a means of removing and installing the packing nuts

Before any packing you will need to make the pin type face spanners in the two sizes required - so you can have a means of removing and installing the packing nuts

Thanks. Good to know. I assume the headstock should be drained as well?

Thanks. Good to know. I assume the headstock should be drained as well?

The oil level only needs to be lower than the bottoms of the shifter shafts - to keep it from coming out

I'll bring the tool in and shoot some photos - may not be pin type - may be milled "lugs" type

Here are some shots.

20210920_190812.jpg20210920_190948.jpg

Big end fits on little end. Big end is pin type, small end is milled lug type

Set screws on big end fit in slots milled in small end

The oil level only needs to be lower than the bottoms of the shifter shafts - to keep it from coming out

I'll bring the tool in and shoot some photos - may not be pin type - may be milled "lugs" type

Do you remember the size packing you used?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you remember the size packing you used?

No, it has to have been nearly twenty years. Its not like it was a big deal. With string type you go round and round until it looks good - but then maybe that is why it needs to be done again :D

I got the handles removed. The packing nuts were loose so no special tools needed. I know for righting them I will need something.

It’s a long string material. From what I can tell, looks to be 1/4 to 5/16. I suppose both would work. 3/8 May work as well and probably better.

These look to have been replaced sometime in its life so whether the correct stuff was used or not is the million dollar question.

I order strips of each size from McMaster Carr. Should be here tomorrow. I will follow up when I get it installed.

Will

7a088d132b295981e5b149c0c26bd135.jpg

Last edited:
For the dual levers outer packing, 1/4 inch fits. The inner I used 3/16 inch packing. On my lathe, the feed direction lever uses 1/4 inch packing.

Back