What's new
What's new

Monarch 13EE transformer rectifier

Atrinox

Plastic
Hello, this is my first post here. I need some help with my 1952 Monarch 13EE. If I am correct the lathe originally came with an AC motor to drive the spindle but now has a 7.5hp 180vdc GE Kinamatic motor with a 100/200 field. I think the motor is wired for a 200v field. I believe in the 1970's the AC motor was replaced with the DC motor. The problem is there is a transformer that has shorted out that supplies the power through a rectifier to the motor. I never measured the transformer while it still worked so I don't know what the secondary voltage was. It is 240v on the primary side of the transformer. I have tried to figure this out on my own by reading things about how to calculate the voltage output of a rectifier and I mostly understand how it works. I just don't know enough about electrical controls to really know what transformer I need. I know it is not a simple answer either. I have connected straight 240v and disconnect the motor armature and field to test the voltage. I was seeing 215v. From what I have read about rectifiers that voltage is correct without a capacitor. 240v*0.9 gives you 216. So since I was actually seeing around 245v input, with voltage drop from the diodes, that matches what I was seeing. What I think is if the motor was connected, the capacitor would actually be discharging and recharging to peak AC volts so I would be seeing around 340vdc but I don't know that to be true. There is a breadboard with some other resistor, diodes and something I don't know what is is. I don't see how 120vac supply would work because it would be around 167v with a capacitor. I hate asking for help because I can usually figure things out on my own but I have ran out of time and I need this machine running. I have contemplated just using a DC drive but everything works, I just need a new transformer. I have searched online for the same transformer in hopes that I might find some information about what the secondary voltage was but no luck. I have uploaded some pictures. I have tried to make a wire diagram but it didn't turn out that great. Sorry I couldn't get the pictures to rotate properly.[/FONT]
MONARCH 13EE.jpgCONTROL CABINET.jpgTRANSFORMER.jpgBREADBOARD.jpgWIRE DIAGRAM.jpg

Thank you for responding.

I managed to get a picture of the nameplate. I am trying to keep from removing the motor so I did the best I could to get the picture. If I have to remove the motor then that is what I will do. I can't get the j-box cover off the motor without removing the motor either.

There were only two tags on the motor. One is the picture I took and the other was a warning label. I didn't find a connection diagram tag on the motor anywhere.

There are 3 pairs of wire going to the motor. Obviously 2 sets are for the armature and the field but the other pair I am not sure. The wires that I think are running to the field are labeled F1 and F4 at the control cabinet.

The lathe ran fine when it was running.

How or where do I find if the motor has a tachogenerator or a resolver?

I would prefer to either replace the transformer if I can figure out what the voltage output is or was supposed to be, or improve upon what is there.

VID_20211013_183226295_exported_12797.jpg

I have a 1954 machine as far as I know all 13EE were motor generator machines with a 15hp DC spindle motor. You look to have some sort of retrofit. I do not have the electrical knowledge to help but thought you may want to know how it was originally equipped. Mine has all the origanal drive components and was pretty easy to trouble shoot when I got it. It wasn't running for a number of years before I got it. One thing I am missing is the original lube pump in the left most compartment as you view the machine from the front, could you possibly send a pic or maybe see if the assembly has some sort of tag that gives an idea of who manufactured it for monarch. I have always suspected it might be Bijur? Also it looks like you are missing the tee casting connected to the back of the lathe that housed the MG.

Matt

Back