What's new
What's new

Monarch 14C Spindle Clutch Mesh

PINCK43

Plastic
Hello monarch enthusiasts, I could use some guidance on how to approach the situation that I'm currently in with my new-to-me lathe.

I have a Monarch 14C that is in pretty good shape overall (could use a good cleaning though)but has a meshing issue between the Spindle Clutch and the Small Spindle Drive Gear. I am assuming the previous owner operated the lathe in reverse since all the clutch tangs in the headstock assembly slope away from the direction of rotation The contact surface may have fatigued then the two surfaces pushed away and damaged something in the linkage in addition to the gear and clutch tangs. Or they tried to engage the smaller gear while operating. Again, I'm making an assumption.

You can see in the attached photos how the tangs fully engage on the Large Spindle Drive Gear side but have more than 1/16 inch gap on the other side. You can also see that the Clutch Shifter Shaft Lever for the Spindle Clutch overshoots the Shifter Timing Pin. What you don't see is the excessive slop/movement between the Clutch Fork and its respective pivot shaft.

Is there a key or pin that could be sheared or damaged between the Clutch Fork and its respective shaft and won't let the clutch mesh further up the tangs of the spindle drive gear? Would the best approach be to completely disassemble the headstock?

Any observations and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4433.jpg
    IMG_4433.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4431.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4427.jpg
    IMG_4427.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4434.jpg
    IMG_4434.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 89
On the CW16, I have one position on one shift lever that that over shoots pin FIVE-EIGHTS of an inch, so I just drop in a wood wedge (between pin and lever) and never worry about it

What I see is the same type of wear I see in my 12CK however much more extreme. Looks like years of the same user or users slamming the dog clutch into gear. Picture #1 clearly shows the amount of wear when comparing the left and right sides. I don't think anything is broken or mis-adjusted its just completely worn out. If you notice when you watch an experienced Monarch user they will stop the machine completely to change gears and then roll the chuck backwards a few degrees while sliding the selector levers allowing instant speed changes. I would suggest you attempt to use the machine as it is to make sure all the other functions work and you are happy with the capacity and operation of the machine before going crazy and tearing into the head stock.

Back