What's new
What's new

Monarch 16-W accuracy

EddieJ3987

Plastic
So I have recently starting dabbling in gunsmithing and have had issues trying to indicate an action in my monarch 16-W. I can get it to run less than a thousandth but as soon as I put my tenth indicator on it I get erratic readings and inconsistent readings as well. Am I asking to much from this lathe? I will add the spindle was hard to turn when I got the lathe and somewhat rough. It looks like someone has fooled with the nut on the back of the spindle so I am assuming someone put new spindle bearings in it. I loosened the nut some what just to see. It smoother out and is much easier to turn.

It came with Class Zero Precision Timken Bearings for spindle about 80 years ago - who knows what some well meaning but uninformed owner put in there in the past

Class Zero Timkens have about 10% of the assembled run out that a Class 2 gear box bearing has that looks exactly the same

Scans from Timken Engineering

Assembled Runout.jpgAssembeld Runout Crop.jpg

As far as "how to" - it is where you find it - like here

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

Have fun

So I have recently starting dabbling in gunsmithing and have had issues trying to indicate an action in my monarch 16-W. I can get it to run less than a thousandth but as soon as I put my tenth indicator on it I get erratic readings and inconsistent readings as well. Am I asking to much from this lathe? I will add the spindle was hard to turn when I got the lathe and somewhat rough. It looks like someone has fooled with the nut on the back of the spindle so I am assuming someone put new spindle bearings in it. I loosened the nut some what just to see. It smoother out and is much easier to turn.

Last edited:

Back