What's new
What's new

Monarch 1610, DynaShift, …?

rpseguin

Stainless
I’m thinking about getting this lathe:

https://youtu.be/aqy8qdbZaKo

Does anybody have anything to say about the model 1610?
Pros?
Cons?
How is the DynaShift? Reliable? Finnicky?

I’m used to moving levers and jockeying the chuck to get a geared head lathe into gear.

Best lathe Monarch made ...UNTIL it breaks... the servo shift is beyond most people to fix and 1960 hydro parts are unattainable...your machine is very noisy, i would pass... Phil

Best lathe Monarch made ...UNTIL it breaks... the servo shift is beyond most people to fix and 1960 hydro parts are unattainable...your machine is very noisy, i would pass... Phil

Thanks for your response and tip!
Ugh! That's quite a bummer to hear!

What usually fails?

This is for my home garage shop, not production use, so use would be lower, but I certainly don't want a heavy pile of scrap iron in my garage!

Thanks!

Probably a bit bigger than what you want but price seems good, hefty machine, has constant surface speed? Someone should snag it, decent lathe.

Lodge & Shipley AVS "Answer" Lathe

Thanks! I saw that machine on eBay as well. Looks nice!
20"x54" is about the size that I'd prefer to get. I gave them a call.
I really like the Lodge & Shipley AVS lathes.

What I worry about is the floorspace/footprint size of some of the machines. I have pretty limited space, so I want as robust/beefy and big a machine as possible in as small a footprint as possible :-)
I'm still looking for a Tardis to build my ideal shop in, but then I'll have to figure out getting machines through the doorway problem...

I just got off the phone with Harry, the president of Monarch Lathes. He's super helpful and friendly and very knowledgeable! He has been at Monarch for over 40 years.

He said that ALL of the series 62 machines are have the outboard motors, which obviously increases the machine length/footprint, which I don't like or want.
He also said that the biggest problem to worry about with DynaShift is the manifold. If the manifold gets damaged, you can't really replace it. He also said that this primarily happens because people set up the hydraulic pump/system wrong and don't clean the filters, ...

Also, that Monarch 1610 lathe is a 16" actual swing (no Monarch 2.5" swing bonus!) and only 30" between centers, not 36".

What I worry about is the floorspace/footprint size of some of the machines. I have pretty limited space, so I want as robust/beefy and big a machine as possible in as small a footprint as possible :-)
I'm still looking for a Tardis to build my ideal shop in, but then I'll have to figure out getting machines through the doorway problem...

I generally like the Monarch chip pans better than the Lodge & Shipley chip pans. If I had tons of space, the Lodge & Shipley chip pan would be no big deal, but as it is, the back side of the lathe will be close up to a wall and those chip pans stick way out, taking up valuable space!

Home shop AVS or Dyna, ya best be crunching some numbers. Inrush (starting) current on the motors is about 7X the run current. Now granted you'll probably never pull max current on the motor running a home shop but you still have to be able to get the motor spinning.

That ain't L&S fault.

"Space" is just egregiously over-valued in Kalifornickyah. Cheaper MOST places..

Yeah, but I like the Monarch pull out chip pans better.

And I love California, I just wish I could afford a good chunk of land here and build a big barn/shop with stout floors and build a big house on it.

Home shop AVS or Dyna, ya best be crunching some numbers. Inrush (starting) current on the motors is about 7X the run current. Now granted you'll probably never pull max current on the motor running a home shop but you still have to be able to get the motor spinning.

Yeah. I’m aware.
I have a 25HP rotary right now, which may or may not be adequate.

I have toyed with the idea of using this 200HP motor as my RPC idler…

https://youtu.be/lPG_e9uPRJk

The inertia alone should handle any starting load I can throw at it.

20"x54" is about the size that I'd prefer to get.
To be honest, I think you'll find that the 16" size is much nicer to run. Webster had several Monarchs, mostly 16" and one 20", and it was just nicer to run the smaller ones on 3 and 4" parts. Most of the stuff you will do won't be 19" in diameter ...

(no Monarch 2.5" swing bonus!)
Not just Monarch. It was the standard way to describe lathes until the Japs came along and started gaining the advertisement edge by describing their lathes with the max max max with .025" clearance swing insted of the useful working swing.

I think you and I exchanged emails and PM's a while back with regards to Whacheon Lathes? Do you still have it? Are the lathes you are considering replacements for it? Just curious as I still have my Webb/Whacheon and I still like it.

Good luck with your search.

Joe

Back