What's new
What's new

Monarch 16CW

CY has the auto reversing lead screw. I've got a 16 CY but have yet to run it. If you buy this machine be prepared for some work. These things have an oil pump in the apron and if neglected will result in carriage wear. I would consider my machine to be representative of the condition of an 80 year old machine and it needs a lot of work. I've currently got the apron off and completely disassembled to change bearings as necessary, clean the gunk out and put the lube system back into working order. That's just one of the big jobs. I'm a project guy in no rush so i enjoy the process. If you want something turn key, my advice would be to keep looking. If you want a project, jump on it and enjoy the process. When done you will have a machine superior to almost anything in the same size range.

I have a CW war machine like yours, I had to do no work on it and all is good with it. How it was treated in the past will determine the amount of "project" it is. Mine was well maintained for it life and I try to keep it that way.
Call Monarch, they should be able to tell you who it first sold to.

I am looking at a Monarch 16CW year 1940. Can anyone express thier opinion of this lathe and the difference between it and a CY or plain C. Thank you Its getting rusty click link
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ebVIDdj8r96Tl9s4sPFUEXzapyExpVxV

I own a CY and is similar to the CW but as mentioned, CY has a reversing gear for the power and screw drive. this is mainly for speed of manufacturing and LH threads... These lathes are anvils but can be worn badly if not maintained properly. My CY happens to be a little better than most but still has it's issues. From your picture, this machine will need a great deal of work. There appears to be a great deal of corrosion, missing parts, required upgrades for modern tooling if you want to improve.

Though Monarch will make parts for this lathe, they are not cheap. I have been fortunate to find others to manufacture replacement parts at a far more reasonable cost but there are parts that only monarch can offer due to them owning the original drawings.

If you want a project, this is your lathe. If you want a machine to get up a running soon, you need to keep looking. If you buy it at a great price (scrap value) you can make your money back in parts over time.

Contact Monarch with the serial number and they still have the original sales records and can tell you what came on the lathe originally.

WillWilly just finished reading your very much appreciated post. IAltho this lathe has a little rust most of it is in insignificant places. Got it home today started cleaning very light rust but there is a problem with the pinion gear hitting the lead screw any suggestions as to whats going on there?

WillWilly just finished reading your very much appreciated post. IAltho this lathe has a little rust most of it is in insignificant places. Got it home today started cleaning very light rust but there is a problem with the pinion gear hitting the lead screw any suggestions as to whats going on there?

Email sent on this - in it I supposed the front way and saddle are worn enough to let pinion interfere with screw - such a condition would also show LOTS of slop in carriage hand wheel. Be worthwhile to compare such slop near chuck and other end of bed

There is a real good reason for the pinion bumping into the screw. Some things just are not noticeable

I had an old L&S that had been rebuilt (rework ways/saddle/apron/shim rack down) who knows how many times

If nothing is done about getting it back up to the "as built elevation" the pinion could get closer and closer to the screw - at the same time that it was "in good shape"

John, I just bought a “survivor” 16CW that was retired and put in Cosmoline since 1968. Evidently this outfit had a big year and replaced 2 of their lathes with new ones. The “old man” was emphatic about preserving the 2 old machines. The machine I bought appears to have the original paint on it and everything works. Even the covers for the taper attachment are not all beat up.
I have figured most of it out, except for the oil sight glass that sits up high on the gear head between the factory data plates. I filled the gear box up and it appeared in the glass down low. What does the upper one show?
Also if you would be kind enough to send me your email, in case I run into a further question......... Thanks, Bobby. [email protected].

See post here on how the upper sight glass functions - and you don't fill the gear box high at all. And we have the forum for asking questions

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/monarch-16cw-401012/#post3912079

-

John, I just bought a “survivor” 16CW that was retired and put in Cosmoline since 1968. Evidently this outfit had a big year and replaced 2 of their lathes with new ones. The “old man” was emphatic about preserving the 2 old machines. The machine I bought appears to have the original paint on it and everything works. Even the covers for the taper attachment are not all beat up.
I have figured most of it out, except for the oil sight glass that sits up high on the gear head between the factory data plates. I filled the gear box up and it appeared in the glass down low. What does the upper one show?
Also if you would be kind enough to send me your email, in case I run into a further question......... Thanks, Bobby. [email protected].

Back