What's new
What's new

Monarch 16CW New OwnerOperation help (sooo many levers and knobs)

clardl74

Plastic
Hi all - long time reader first time poster.

I recently acquired my first monarch lathe and having never operated a Monarch lathe and not having much experience with lathes in general I am looking for some help understanding the operation of it. I'm hoping to avoid the trial and error and unavoidable grinding noises that result from that approach.

also - trial and error doesn't lend itself to figuring out intended processes.

thanks for any help you can give, and I apologize in advance for any dumb questions I will ask.

cheers,

Daniel

Monarch Lathe Questions.jpg

And the useful content of my email to OP:

From the top

Lead screw / feed rod reverse - with spindle stopped - always. I think you have to UNSCREW the knob in order to shift the lever. Lead Screw Reverse on the fly exists on such as the CY - and is always an extra lever on right end of apron

Middle position? Don't think my CW has a middle position

Selects feed rod (the smooth one) or lead screw - the one with threads. I have never had mine in the "middle" that I can recall - but maybe that is "neutral" for feed rod AND lead screw

Indeed - apron reverse - usable on the fly. Center position selected when cutting threads - effectively disabling all feed functions

And the useful content of my email to OP:
You know, I'm not too sure about being able to use that feed/lead screw reverse lever while it's running. I looked in mine and a 16CY I might be buying, and the clutch is set up the exact same way in there. It only engages in one position, which of course helps with threading. I think the only thing that changes between the two models, is there is a pull rod and cam added on the outside to disengage the mechanism automatically on a CY.

With that said, on my CW, I've only ever disengaged mine and reversed it at low speeds, sub 250 RPM.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Entirely differing systems. The CY has LSR that allows reversing of lead screw WITHOUT DISTURBING RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SPINDLE AND LEAD SCREW ... and the CW does not. In other words you can thread on a CY simply by leaving the half nuts engaged and backing up the lead screw in the process of additional passes - and NEVER "get out of time". Not possible on CW - as soon as you move the reversing lever on the head stock you have LOST the relationship between spindle and lead screw

You know, I'm not too sure about being able to use that feed/lead screw reverse lever while it's running. I looked in mine and a 16CY I might be buying, and the clutch is set up the exact same way in there. It only engages in one position, which of course helps with threading. I think the only thing that changes between the two models, is there is a pull rod and cam added on the outside to disengage the mechanism automatically on a CY.

With that said, on my CW, I've only ever disengaged mine and reversed it at low speeds, sub 250 RPM.

Entirely differing systems. The CY has LSR that allows reversing of lead screw WITHOUT DISTURBING RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SPINDLE AND LEAD SCREW ... and the CW does not. In other words you can thread on a CY simply by leaving the half nuts engaged and backing up the lead screw in the process of additional passes - and NEVER "get out of time". Not possible on CW - as soon as you move the reversing lever on the head stock you have LOST the relationship between spindle and lead screw
John, sir, I sent you a PM.

A test would be to see how well a thread comes out on the CW when you leave half nuts engaged and use head stock lever to back up lead screw in the process of taking additional passes

A CY will always "do it right"

Let us know how it works on the CW

(it is assumed one knows to get tool out of cut for "backing up" on either CW or CY)

Here is my old write up on Hendey's LSR - starts at post #17

Hendey lathe "emergency"!

Here is some "from the horse's mouth" on the system in 12CK manual - which shares the system with CY and others

Monarch LSR.jpg

A test would be to see how well a thread comes out on the CW when you leave half nuts engaged and use head stock lever to back up lead screw in the process of taking additional passes

A CY will always "do it right"

Let us know how it works on the CW

(it is assumed one knows to get tool out of cut for "backing up" on either CW or CY)

Here is my old write up on Hendey's LSR - starts at post #17

Hendey lathe "emergency"!

Here is some "from the horse's mouth" on the system in 12CK manual - which shares the system with CY and others

View attachment 284218
Sir, I just made a video on YouTube about this. I actually don't mind doing a video on the threading at all with my CW. I'm of the same opinion as you though, low speeds are when this feature should be used.

Thanks for sticking to your guns Michael and helping to reeducate an old fart. I did not use your video - I just looked at the head stock inners on both CK and CW manuals - both have the Item 79 single tooth dog clutch spool - proving our CWs won't "get out of time"

Neat to know

Thanks for sticking to your guns Michael and helping to reeducate an old fart. I did not use your video - I just looked at the head stock inners on both CK and CW manuals - both have the Item 79 single tooth dog clutch spool - proving our CWs won't "get out of time"

Neat to know
Thank you for getting my mind going and having a good discussion with me. I wish we all could discuss and work on facts and figures, instead of mad hysteria and media half truths...

Back