What's new
What's new

Monarch 16CY clutch plate keyway repair

marka12161

Stainless
There's lots of good YouTube content on removing and repairing the Clutch on the Monarch 16 CY however i have a problem not covered. The Square headed drive pin got misaligned in its' hole after decades of service and buggered up the mating keyway in the driven plate (pics attached). My thinking is to just broach a new keyway but before i attempt this, i figured i would consult with the brain trust to determine if there are any hidden traps. The plate material doesn't appear to be hardened as i can remove material with a file on the buggered up area. Not as soft as HRS but it can definitely be filed. IS there anything in particular i should think about before i attempt this?

M

Attachments

• IMG_20210209_123950647.jpg
    IMG_20210209_123950647.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210209_124001522.jpg
    IMG_20210209_124001522.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20210209_124009066.jpg
    IMG_20210209_124009066.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 52
I would cut a new keyway 180 degrees to the buggered one and use that. Seems that would work and not have any negative effects.

I too would cut/broach another one 180 out like suggested, put it back together and run it. By the time it wears the new one out it will be the next guys issue to solve. Faster and easier solution than welding up the existing one and recutting it, save that for when it needs another keyway cut in 50+ years. How’s the other side of the key fit in its mating slot/hole? If there’s play there too I’d be inclined to address that as well.

K I S S

A new keyway on opposite side or elsewhere should be just fine.

Be concerned about critical balance if you plan to run that clutch

above ten or fifteen thousand R P M .

petersen

Cynic, Iyam.

We dunno if that damage started in month five or year fifty-five.

I'd be tempted go to two if not three drive keys and goal for longer life, regardless.

Two or three keys wouldn't hurt anything.
That key basically just keeps the plate turning in sinque with the clutch. Once the clutch is engaged the torque is transfered to the pressure against the plates.
Slipping the clutch would put some torque on the key.

Edit
I could be thinking wrong on that

Last edited:

Back