What's new
What's new

Monarch 18 x 54 lathe

GregSY

Diamond
There's a nice looking Monarch here in Texas for sale...it's on Facebook Marketplace so I am not posting a link. But only $1500....Monarch.jpg

Dammit, Alvin is 5 minutes from me. I really don't need more temptations atm. What I could use right now is a nice little cocaine habit to save a little money over buying tools and machines. :D

16CY 600 rpm, listed top speed. Built in 1942. Two pics of tags, GregSY posted the only pic of machine.

I know what you mean....I'd be all over it if I had any room at all. Especially since it hasn't gotten rusty yet.

Just finishing up reworking a 12x30 1944 CK. Still have a fairly beaten up 10EE to work on. Never the less, I've been pondering a 54" or 78" bed Monarch. It's an addiction. Would like to see more pics, I can't tell if this one has a taper attachment.

There is a 16x54 Model K a few hours away from me on FB, but really inclined toward a model 61. Missed the one recently listed on the For Sale forum here, and still kicking myself for that. And I do have space in a separate building with a 200amp service separate from the house. There's a few 61's listed on E-bay, but I'd like to find something I can look at before committing to, and E-bay makes that difficult to protect their commission.

Just saw this listing today.
Giana GFP24
Swing 129
Lngt 531
HIS 5.9
Hor 73

The swing and length are inches. That's a big boy's lathe.

So I took a little ride. . .Turns out its about 10-15 minutes from my house. I gotta tell you, my heart was beating a little. If this thing turned out to have a taper attachment, and be in decent shape. . . Dear god, I don't have the space or time right now. . . I was stressing.

Turns out I'm feeling a lot of relief :D. It's rough. Definitely you are going the whole way, tear down project, with extra repairs type project. Plus no taper attachment.

The details hard and fast: Rough, its a project. They can't load it on a truck or trailer. No taper attachment, steady rest, or follower rest. No other tooling, what you see is what there is. Missing left clutch cover. Carriage, crossfeed, and rest all need two hands to turn them. Ways not totally wrecked, but its 78 years old. Spindle spins, feels right. Speeds that I checked are all there. QCGB gears are intact. Claims the $1500 is firm. 7.5 hp.

The entire machine has been soaked down with a preservative type oil/grease. Everything. Every inch and surface. They double checked, then got a fire hose to blast it down some more. And for those of you not from the South, its love bug season, and they have landed all over the machine, in the oil.

Other details will probably hit me as I post pics.

229.jpg 230.jpg 231.jpg232.jpg 233.jpg

Last edited:
Ways pics are close to chuck.

Rear flat way, looks pretty good.

237.jpg

Inner side of vee way has a little ridge at top, have seen worse. But also has a line running right down center of its face:

238.jpg

Front side flat way. Not great, but 78.

239.jpg

Rest, plus what material packed into it.

240.jpg 241.jpg

Last edited:
The handwheel in apron to drive carriage up and down ways, somethings wrong inside. I can move handwheel and shaft up and down about a 1/4".

242.jpg

I don't see anything abnormally wrong with dovetail for compound, but a shim is sticking out of gib. And every hand wheel is tight. Two hands to turn it tight, carriage, crossfeed, rest, tail stock spindle.

243.jpg 246.jpg 245.jpg

No t/a:

244.jpg

Last edited:
Square for clutch handle at apron is wiped out.

247.jpg

Lead screw looks good:

248.jpg

Someone rolled TS spindle out too far, so I couldn't roll it back. But spindle looks ok, no gouges.

But the bell is part way unscrewed off tail stock housing.

249.jpg

Flame hardened ways:

250.jpg

Thanks for the recon...I feel better now, too!

IMO, Texas is NOT good country for buying used machinery....it seems by the time a lathe / mill reaches the South, it's been rode hard and put up wet - or will be soon.

Thanks for the recon...I feel better now, too!

IMO, Texas is NOT good country for buying used machinery....it seems by the time a lathe / mill reaches the South, it's been rode hard and put up wet - or will be soon.

Yea, its true. Even with the Houston area having a lot of industry, you just don't see the same amount of available machines like the North East coast, Rust Belt, etc. The machines I've found here were like accidental finds, I wasn't looking for them specifically.

If you have long term patience, and can wait, things do pop up. But this lathe is almost priced right for our area. At $1500 its a project lathe, where if it were in decent condition it would have been a real bargain.

One up side is, I feel a whole lot better about the 61 series I bought and shipped from Ohio. The shipping cost alone was $1500 and change ! It does need work, but all in all, I feel like its real solid.

A funny thing though, a Monarch 16CY has been a coveted machine for me. An outfit I did some work for had one. It was the first gear head lathe I got a real good look at. I thought it was so cool, and the attention to detail on a lot of small or minor items was real nice. It's also one of a few machines I think look good painted green.

Back