What's new
What's new

Monarch 18x120

Maxx1973

Plastic
Hi all. First day in the group and first post so please take it easy on me if I’m not up to speed with you guys. Ok. So I was recently in the right place at the right time and was given a Monarch 18x160 lathe for my shop. It’s a 1941 model and is in great shape. Problem is I don’t know anything about these lathes. All of my machining had been on an Enco combo mill/lathe. I was in search of a bigger machine for my shop say a 10x48 but when I was offered this one for free I jumped on it. The monarch is 3 phase and I’m getting ready to order a rotary phase converter for it. The tooling did not come with the lathe and I need to know what tool post will will work on these machines. Also the tail stock head is in great shape but I’m not sure what taper is needed for the tooling such as centers and drill chucks. I have a few pics of the machine soon as I can figure out how to post em. Thanks for any input y’all may have.

Is it 18x120 or 18x160?

You'll save money buying just the panel for the rotary converter and picking up a used 3-phase motor for the idler motor.

Cal

Cal, it’s an 18 x 120. It’s catalogue number 18”CBB. I’m still trying to figure how to put pics on here. I am looking at a phase converter panel now and I may have sourced a 15hp motor for the idler.

Congrats on acquiring that machine, good luck getting it set up.
There are certainly more knowledgeable people on here, I'll just try to pass along some of the common things:

The Aloris style toolposts, with many third party copies, are fairly common. I'd *guess* you are looking at a CXA size toolpost, but to be sure you'll need to measure the height from the top of your compound where the toolpost mounts to the centerline of the spindle/chuck. Knowing that distance you can look up the appropriate size toolpost with a bit of work on google.
Be sure to check out vintagemachinery.org, particularly their list of older Monarch parts catalogs, etc at Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org. You may be able to find the tailstock center size in one of those publications.

Thanks! I agree with you on the cxa post from all the info I found. Monarch emailed me back today and said a bxa or cxa will work. So I’ll go cxa to start. I’ll never use the full potential of this machine as I only make small stuff like bushings and spindles for atv’s and things but the price was definitely right!

Back