What's new
What's new

Monarch 1962 Modular: Top Speed and Drive Belt Pulleys

nobrakese28

Cast Iron
Over the past few weeks I have been working on getting my 1962 Monarch 10EE back online, it has had various mechanical and electrical issues. The machine was originally delivered to JPl, where it lived for its entire life until the past year where it was traded in for a solid-state updated 10EE.
Over the past few week Tim Jones has helped me diagnose the follwoing electrical issues:

No Start/220v conversion: Transformer Incorrectly wired
Dead start button: Wire #50 out of terminal
PC not latching: Dead auxillary contact, used the redundant unit
Jittery Operation: Bad left tube, replaced with Scissio Controls Replacements
Trouble reaching 2000RPM/jittery C3J tube: FA relay spring tension adjustment
Will not exceed 2800RPM: This is the interesting one.....

Tim had a few suggestions, but before trying them I did some research and discovered another PM user had a similar issue, the machine functioned perfectly and smoothly, but when he wanted to take it to 4000RPM, it would not get past 3000.

He measured his drive pulleys and looked up the motors rated speed, he had the following (so do I):

Motor Pulley: 6.5"
Head Stock Pulley: 7.5"
Motor Max Speed, GE: 3,450 RPM

The math works out to a maximum speed of 2,990 RPM, both of our machines are equipped with factory 4,000 RPM tachs (assuming they weren't swapped). Does anyone else have a machine that is "limited" to 3,000 RPM with a 4,000 RPM tachometer??

The next mystery, my unit seems to be the only unit with a triple drive-belt system, Monarch confirmed this is not factory. I asked this morning and also decided to get a quote for new idlers (the unit on the left has three "dents" possibly a bearing seizure that wore the "dents/grooves" in). From what I can gather the good folks at JPL must have custom machined the drive belt pulleys to take another belt, funny enough I found a 2-groove drive-belt pulley in the side cabinet...They did a fine job.

I was hoping you more experienced folks could answer the following questions:

1) The pulleys appear to be OEM to Monarch, can anyone confirm that their machine look the same.

2) Is the large ring nut behind the pulley securing the pulley/spacer to the spindle only? Or is it also securing/preloading (from what I understand the bearings themselves are preloaded)the bearings also?

3) Can anyone take some measurements from there pulleys if they have 4,000RPM rated machines? I do not plan on changing them, but I am curious.

IMG-6867.jpg
IMG-6869.jpg
IMG-6870.jpg
IMG-6868.jpg

Labeeman, that combination puts you at 3,900 RPM, so essentially 4,000 RPM. I wonder why they decided on that size, or possibly the machine was a 3,000RPM machine. The diagram has a part number for a 3,000 RPM set.

I actually work for a company that does a lot of work for JPL, we work with them quite closely.. No one (fellow engineers) is surprised they changed something that was already perfect or sufficient as-is...

I wonder why they decided on that size, or possibly the machine was a 3,000RPM machine.

Given that they changed the pulley size and went with 3 Belts I would guess that they used the lathe at some time for heavy cuts and wanted to increase the spindle torque. Perhaps they experienced stalling or belt slippage/jitter?

Ron
Looking forward to seeing the lathe in person

Back