What's new
What's new

Monarch 24N Geared Head Internal Pictures

bloomautomatic

Cast Iron
IMG_8375.jpgIMG_8376.jpgIMG_8377.jpg

1937 Monarch 24-N is going out of service. The carriage and ways are too far gone to repair and no one wants to buy it. Pulled the cover off the head to give it a last viewing. Gears are in perfect condition.

They always say the Monarchs wear out around the heads. This is no exaggeration.

Sad to see it go, but it's time. We can't save them all. Hopefully it gets melted into something useful.

View attachment 261621View attachment 261622View attachment 261623

1937 Monarch 24-N is going out of service. The carriage and ways are too far gone to repair and no one wants to buy it. Pulled the cover off the head to give it a last viewing. Gears are in perfect condition.

They always say the Monarchs wear out around the heads. This is no exaggeration.

Sad to see it go, but it's time. We can't save them all. Hopefully it gets melted into something useful.

I have a CY 1943 that looks the same. Fortunately my ways are still in very good shape. Your gears are in excellent condition. There are some parts you can salvage for other lathes, Oil pump, spindle bearing (class 1 or 3) which are very expensive if impossible to replace. Yours may be an excellent used option for someone that ran theirs out of oil. The brake shoe and cup if they are in good condition. All your clutch parts on the main drive.

If it has a taper attachment, I need some parts. If the clutch is an Edgemont, I may also be interested.

Those are really good looking gears. 82 years old. My Barber Colman is a 1942. I wonder what machine they made those gears on, Barber Colman, G&E? Amazing to think that every gear in every car, every machine, every RR Merlin, every Pratt and Whitney, were made with a machinist manually setting and monitoring the hobber and shaper with hobs made with that era's capabilities.

Back