What's new
What's new

Monarch 612.. overall length and aprox weight of this one ? (photo)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
For shipping purposes.....(and yes I know the right end of the base is problematic...)

IMG_6303.jpg

Wow. Did you actually buy that machine? I live a mile away. Managed to buy a couple items and negotiated sale on several others. I know that lathe went for nothing but gosh a dirtier more disgusting machine you will not find. There is quite a bit of tooling with it not shown so make sure you get that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For shipping purposes.....(and yes I know the right end of the base is problematic...)

View attachment 303436

I had recently moved a Series 61 with a 54" length bed at about 8700lbs. Yours appears to be a 78" bed.

According to a catalog, the 612 was divided into 3 models. Weight and power different on the 3 models, and not just on bed length. from the catalog:

321.jpg

The catalog here, page 8 and 9 of pdf:
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Monarch Turning Machines | VintageMachinery.org

The pdf:
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/19729.pdf

It does not mention footprint, but based off my machine I would think your 78" to be just over 12' long, and 36-38" wide.

Wow. Did you actually buy that machine? I live a mile away. Managed to buy a couple items and negotiated sale on several others. I know that lathe went for nothing but gosh a dirtier more disgusting machine you will not find. There is quite a bit of tooling with it not shown so make sure you get that.
Yeah the usual rule of thumb with auction pictures is, if it looks bad in pictures it will look horrible in real life. :willy_nilly: I could be completely wrong but my Spidey Sense is telling me that lathe may be in excellent conditon....except for foundry dirt and where a ten foot pole collided with the right end.

Re tooling, was aware of "something" in that regard but not what exactly.... hopefully the taper attachment arm is amongst the pile. Steady rest in the chip pan... what else do you recall ?

Your Spidey Sense might be on the fritz. Should get that checked. Actual wear I don’t know, might be fine. The headstock cover is busted and welded back together. Don’t recall the taper arm, might well be there. There is a 4 jaw and a large number of carbide insert tool holders, like 30 or 40. I think the steady is there. I guess that’s all I recall. I’m out of town for 2 weeks or could run over there.

Did you buy anything else? The Moak bandsaw was nice but probably hard to resell.

My 62 16x54 hits 8500 lbs, with hydo shift and rapids,taper... about as heavy of lathe as you can find.add 400 lbs for each foot of bed and you will be close...Phil

Your Spidey Sense might be on the fritz. Should get that checked. Actual wear I don’t know, might be fine. The headstock cover is busted and welded back together.
Hmmm....how badly busted ? :ill: I was mostly thinking in terms of backlash and way condition.... pot luck on how it sounds running... No, didn't buy anything else.

Hmmm....how badly busted ? :ill: I was mostly thinking in terms of backlash and way condition.... pot luck on how it sounds running... No, didn't buy anything else.

If its a decent lathe that right end could be framed up with some 2"x2"x1\4" square and boxed in with some 1\4" plate. It may be better to cut off what remains and start fresh. Sitting in a dirty environment can put an ugly mask on a decent machine. Let us know. There is always the used parts market if needed.

It is the end of the road for Waukesha Malleable. In continuous operation since 1891 pouring ductile iron. Bought by International Harvester in 1946. I’m surprised they lasted this long actually. One of the cooler things in there was the locker room which I don’t think was remodeled, ever. You put your clothes in a metal basket which gets pulled by chain up into the rafters. You tie off the chain with a metal clip that has your employee number on it. What a contraption. The place looks like some kind of apocalypse.

Back