What's new
What's new

Monarch C, rigger roll over

Mr.Green

Cast Iron
Recently went to pick up a couple things I won at an auction and when I got there I saw the Monarch I bid on, but cheaped out on, sitting in the gravel covered in oil and i knew exactly what had happened. Lathe made the slow roll over on its face, buyer obviously didn't want it and the rigger was more than willing to sell it to me for scrap price. I didn't make it back to pick it up, got busy and it really wasn't that big of a deal. As I am working in the back of my shop, he showed up and asked if I still wanted it. Can't beat free delivery. Currently the head stock is locked up. Need to pull cover and see if anything is busted inside. Not sure yet what I can do with it, or if its salvageable.

Like I needed more to do....

0f80de7a011a41f8b55506ee679ed385.jpg
587a1005b4821d7cf55c132f55279c2f.jpg
47f4517769e955a0d1afd3b1dad3e2c6.jpg
79d9bd75da352625821aa96d37653264.jpg
3be6f9919f813435dc544449fd021d44.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you decide to part it out, there’s a guy local to me who could use a few parts.

L7
Will do. I am going to give it good once over and see if its worth fixing or not.

Any idea why the chuck is super hard to turn by hand?

I'd guess clutch is engaged, or two different speeds are locked in with handles smashed off.
I opened up the lid and checked all the gears, shifted all the different speeds, etc and nothing really made any difference. Clutch in either position makes no difference either.

Also the compound is basically locked up as well.

Man O Man that sucks....
Any idea why the chuck is super hard to turn by hand?

Kind of depends on what gear it is in. If you can move the gear change levers around at all you should be able to find spots between gears where the spindle should free spin (with no gears engaged)

IF you end up scrapping it I could use the two large oil fillers on top of the QCGB. They look to be pressed in.

Well, sticky spindle issue is better, but only after backing the bearing take up off. As soon as I try to snug them up, sticky spindle.

May have to put power to it and see how horrible it sounds.

I believe there is a major lever that shifts the spindle into neutral so you can spin the spindle to indicate apart in. Get a large cresent wrench and put it on the broken levers and try moving them. With the cover off. If the lever doesn't move that may be the bad one. I found this in the Vintage Machinery web site .Its not the same model but they are close. It might help. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/21431.pdf If this doesn't work open the chuck and slide in a 6' long x 2" pipe side ways into the chuck jaws and see if you can lever the spindle over as the spindle might be bent. do that and if you can turn it over remove the chuck, take some picture, indicate it and come back and let us know. Here is another one. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17622.pdf

PS: I believe on some of those when you pulled the lever out it moved the shaft in to unlock it and them shifted it.

I believe there is a major lever that shifts the spindle into neutral so you can spin the spindle to indicate apart in. Get a large cresent wrench and put it on the broken levers and try moving them. With the cover off. If the lever doesn't move that may be the bad one. I found this in the Vintage Machinery web site .Its not the same model but they are close. It might help. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/21431.pdf If this doesn't work open the chuck and slide in a 6' long x 2" pipe side ways into the chuck jaws and see if you can lever the spindle over as the spindle might be bent. do that and if you can turn it over remove the chuck, take some picture, indicate it and come back and let us know. Here is another one. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17622.pdf

PS: I believe on some of those when you pulled the lever out it moved the shaft in to unlock it and them shifted it.
The literature I glanced at quickly all seemed to show a lever where that top sight glass is at in this one. Under the cover though, I see no evidence of anything ever being changed.

It does spin, but still not what I would call easy, no where near how my hendey does.

I questioned the spindle being bent, but i don't see any evidence of the chuck hitting anything, unless he righted it by a sling around the chuck....

Not sure I am a huge believer of how they show to sling and lift it in that second publication, with the compound and tail stock at the far end, its still heavy on the drive end.

Have you looked at the brake to see if it is partly engaged? That is the square rod under the lead screw IIRC. Be sure the lever moves up and down, especially down, up is brake on.

Have someone help you. turn the spindle over and you watch the gears while you move the levers with the cresent wrench. I would not try to run it with the broken handles, if a gear slides into another one you will trash the head. Pull off the rear cover and check the brake as Rob suggests. The handle on the bottom looks as if it is centered and not engaged. I think that is a feed lever or a reverse lever.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the brake to see if it is partly engaged? That is the square rod under the lead screw IIRC. Be sure the lever moves up and down, especially down, up is brake on.
It does move up and down freely.

The bar itself is bent a little, but it does move as it should.

I will try that tomorrow.

if you decide to part it out, i may be interested in the taper attachment. I've been on the hunt for something to adapt to my reed prentice 14 x 30 and this may fit.

Curious if riggers have a disclaimer for damage at auctions. It happens so quick.

Curious if riggers have a disclaimer for damage at auctions. It happens so quick.
Thats what their insurance is for, although with something like this I would assume he just paid the difference directly to the buyer, they did take the entire skid of accessories for it. Maybe cost him 800 bucks out of his pocket after the 220 I paid him for the lathe.

Back