What's new
What's new

monarch c14 1936

concos

Plastic
Hi, I'm new to PM, long time listener, first time caller...
I'm thinking of buying an old Monarch lathe, but I have a few reservations:
1) It's a 1936, no hardened beds
2) Top spindle speed is 567
3) a big gap (by design?) on the far bed. this is the most concerning (see pic)
4) a lot of backlash on the compound

I could not see it running, because it is in storage, the guy wants $3k
Also, there is large handle at the back of the lathe, does anyone know what this is for?

thank you very much in advanced for all your input.

Mel

Attachments

• speeds.jpg
    speeds.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 60
  • headstock.jpg
    headstock.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 68
  • dateplate.jpg
    dateplate.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 62
  • taper.jpg
    taper.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 66
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 61
Taper attachment, an old style on back of carriage.

The lever on back of head stock is part of linkage to engage/disengage the clutch. The actual handle for clutch is one front side of lathe.

Might have hardened ways, johnodor would probably know more about that.

The lever on back of head stock is part of linkage to engage/disengage the clutch. The actual handle for clutch is one front side of lathe.

Might have hardened ways, johnoder would probably know more about that.

My 22" CM s/n 4742 I owned briefly 35 years ago did not have hard ways (none the less, Reed Roller Bit here in Houston paid 20K to have it rebuilt in 1979, then gave it away to me for $2.5K)

My CW16 from 10 years later has the hard ways plaque riveted on face of bed down near right end

VM has brochures on the 1934 products

At least you have 16 speeds - many were 8 speed in those days

Might have hardened ways, johnodor would probably know more about that.

Thank you very much for your reply about the linkage at the back. I guess I don't need to touch it.

Mel

thanks for your reply. I did not see a plaque indicating hardened beds. I hope they are. I've reached out to Monarch to see if I can get more info about this lathe.
I know that at least I would have to open the headstock to see if there is any damage to the gears.

I have a similar lathe, 12" (14.5 actual) 1944.
Hard to tell much given the pictures are resized fairly small. I'd want to see/hear it run for $3k. Unless there was a LOT of tooling that came with it, making it a good deal. And yes, you definitely want to follow up on the hardened ways. A missing plaque is possible, contacting Monarch is a good idea. Also John Oder mentioned VM, that's vintagemachinery.org. Takes a little digging but that site has good collection of documents on the older Monarch lathes.

Back