Monarch CY 16 Winter Project - Page 10
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WillWilly View Post
    I will be putting Rulon 0.035" on the flat of the saddle under the cross slide first. Then adding Rulon on the dovetail and gib of the cross slide. This will get me back to original height as well as full adjustment on the gib. I have never scraped Rulon so there is going to be a learning curve.

I plan on gluing Rulon on an old 123 block or flat piece of metal and try scraping it flat using my surface plate. This should give me a feel of how hard or gentile I need to be on Rulon.
    It's my understanding that most folks put the way material on the moving member - underside of the cross slide, underside of the saddle, etc. That uses the minimum material and allows the way wipers to protect it from debris. It sounds like you're planning on putting it on the saddle?

For me I checked the expected height of the cross slide over the saddle (from the top of the cross slide to the nut mounted on the cross slide screw and mounts, then subtracting the thickness of the cross slide at the nut mount) then used that to calculate the thickness I needed of way material. I milled the bottom of the cross slide to account for the way material and a .005" bonding layer of epoxy (I've still got the grooved wiper that leaves that thickness) and glued it up on my surface plate using a layer of waxed paper underneath. It just took a little touchup scraping for a good fit.

I didn't need near that much on my gib, it only needed a .007" shim on the dead side and was fine. I always meant to more than that, just never got to it.

Way materials scrape way faster than you might think. Use a delicate touch as they can gouge easily. Surprisingly hard on scraper blades.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much for the advice!

I have a new cross slide acme screw and nut that will need to be fitted so I wasn't too worried about getting the height perfect on the cross slide. Mainly ensuring I'm not too tall for the nut.

I do like the idea of putting the Rulon on the moving parts. You are making me rethink. Unfortunately I don't own a 24-30" narrow reference with a 60 degree edge to scrape in the saddle/cross slide ways. Regardless, I like that approach.

My original plan was to add Rulon to the top of the saddle and the cross slide dove tail, scrape in the bottom of the cross slide on my surface plate, then use the cross slide as reference to scrap in Rulon on the saddle. Not the ideal solution but one I could handle.

I'm going to ponder some more.

Thanks Again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I have my saddle and cross slide back from the machinist. I'm measuring up to get the best Rulon 143 installation strategy mapped out for the next step.

[/QUOTE]

Just glue the Rulon on where the numbers are and scrape to flat, it is already well aligned so if you keep it even you should be good. I would apply it with the gib in place, then take a knife and seperate it from the gib after you get it scrapped.SHould make it a little easier versus fiddling with the gib seperate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WillWilly View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice!

I have a new cross slide acme screw and nut that will need to be fitted so I wasn't too worried about getting the height perfect on the cross slide. Mainly ensuring I'm not too tall for the nut.

I do like the idea of putting the Rulon on the moving parts. You are making me rethink. Unfortunately I don't own a 24-30" narrow reference with a 60 degree edge to scrape in the saddle/cross slide ways. Regardless, I like that approach.

My original plan was to add Rulon to the top of the saddle and the cross slide dove tail, scrape in the bottom of the cross slide on my surface plate, then use the cross slide as reference to scrap in Rulon on the saddle. Not the ideal solution but one I could handle.

I'm going to ponder some more.

Thanks Again.
    Remember also that there's likely some side-to-side movement of the cross slide on the dovetails, and that needs to be accounted for in the fitting of the cross slide screw.

Best thing to do is to get the way material on the bottom of the cross slide to get things to the right height then see where you are with the gib in and shimmed to a halfway decent fit. If it looks good at that point you're probably good to go.

On the narrow reference flat - it's really not all that hard to make a quick reference flat for the dovetails - a 2x2 2' bar is ~$100 from McMaster, if you're clever you might scrounge something that works elsewhere. Maybe get something 2x3 and cut the extra inch off as a blank for a gib? I've got an 18" if you want to borrow it but shipping 2 ways might exceed the purchase of something local.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    So I have my saddle and cross slide back from the machinist. I'm measuring up to get the best Rulon 143 installation strategy mapped out for the next step.
    Just glue the Rulon on where the numbers are and scrape to flat, it is already well aligned so if you keep it even you should be good. I would apply it with the gib in place, then take a knife and seperate it from the gib after you get it scrapped.SHould make it a little easier versus fiddling with the gib seperate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Brian, that's the plan. I like the idea of gluing with the gib in place but land where the gib sits is not flat as you can see by my measurements... Also, I'll be adding Rulon on the gib as well. I'll have to think about that some more. I do't want to accidentally glue my gib in place...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reversing Starter size #1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reversing-.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I apologize for not posting in quite a awhile. I'm classified as an essential worker and it has been a ride. I'm also adding onto my shop which makes project work hard to do until I get this finished. My current shop is small, 18 x 24. The addition is 16 x 24. I'm so looking forward to spreading out and adding a couple more pieces of equipment.

I am working on some small details... I'll get those up soon.

William

garage-2.jpg garage-1.jpg

8. Likes rabler liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So summer has creeped up on me again, bringing Monarch lathe work to the back burner. I have been working on increasing the shop this spring and it is coming along nicely.

garage-1.jpg
    Foundation

floor-pour.jpg
    Floor Pour

I have also been to a few auctions for equipment. I got a hold of a great deal of Vulcan hold down hardware that I will be offering on PM "For Sale" forum.

vulcan-1.jpg

vulcan-2.jpg

vulcan-3.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have also been to a few auctions for equipment. I got a hold of a great deal of Vulcan hold down hardware that I will be offering on PM "For Sale" forum.

vulcan-1.jpg

vulcan-2.jpg

vulcan-3.jpg ITEMS SOLD!