What's new
What's new

Monarch CY Half Nuts

Kakashi

Plastic
A friend of mine is a machinist by trade. He also thinks the internet is the devil, so he has no means of getting online. He still uses a flip phone. His main lathe is a CY 16X54 that is well used but also well cared for. He's started to cut what he refers to as "drunken threads". He said he's adjusted the half nuts as far as he can, but the issue is still there, so he called for to get price and availability on a set.

He said the threads weren't the only thing drunk. He was quoted $2,700 and 5 weeks on the lead time.

Do you Monarch experts out there know of an alternate supplier?

He's a one man show and jobs have been slim. His Miller Tig went down last week, so he's considering shuttering his shop at this point.

I can offer not personal experience, but others in a similar situation have suggested casting new threads in the half nuts by using rebuilding epoxies. Clean the two half nuts, pack them with the epoxy and close on the lead screw. There is a lot more to it than this, but gives you the idea.

Tom

Sure that it’s not the lead screw? Doesn’t seem like nut wear would cause variations in pitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back