What's new
What's new

10 EE Apron to saddle alignment

MCritchley

Stainless
We are in the middle of a light mechanical refresh of our EE. It doesn't look like there are any dowels between the apron and saddle. we were somewhat surprised by the lack of alignment dowels.
Is Monarch relying on the body grip of the bolts to align the apron and saddle? Perhaps i am missing something obvious, i would think Monarch had a good way to align the two castings.

I am wondering what others have done to align the apron and saddle.

Ok, I 'll bite, and probably get spanked. Why is there no dowel pining between the apron and the saddle? If you think about there really is no need for it. The saddle is where all the alignments are, the saddle is scraped so that when the apron is bolted to it, the leadscrews/rackgear are all in perfect height. This is really important. Fore and aft alignment of the apron can be close, but isn't as critical as the height. Its been awhile, but I don't remember alot of slop between the apron and saddle when all of the bolts are installed even slack.I am guessing but I bet on final assy. after leadscrews and everything is installed , the apron bolts are slack and then run back and forth to self align the apron before tightening down. And being a typical frugal American mfg. business in those days, there was just no need for the added expense and assy. time to go back and pin it as it had never been an issue.

Ok, I 'll bite, and probably get spanked. Why is there no dowel pining between the apron and the saddle? If you think about there really is no need for it. The saddle is where all the alignments are, the saddle is scraped so that when the apron is bolted to it, the leadscrews/rackgear are all in perfect height. This is really important. Fore and aft alignment of the apron can be close, but isn't as critical as the height. Its been awhile, but I don't remember alot of slop between the apron and saddle when all of the bolts are installed even slack.I am guessing but I bet on final assy. after leadscrews and everything is installed , the apron bolts are slack and then run back and forth to self align the apron before tightening down. And being a typical frugal American mfg. business in those days, there was just no need for the added expense and assy. time to go back and pin it as it had never been an issue.

THIS.

The only critical thing to align would be the lube-oil passageway in the later saddle/apron design. The early design has an oil line form the saddle manifold that is treaded not a connection on the saddle..
Otherwise the apron pushes, pulls the saddle, and the apron gears will power the cross feed .
No need or any fancy alignment better than the 8? saddle to apron bolts.

DualValve

MCritchley:
Did you finish your 'light refresh' on your 10ee? That sounds like [I'm reading between the lines] you found you needed
some maintenance or you noticed the saddle wasn't getting way oil or ??

Just curious what you saw or discovered with your lathe to prompt a bit of refreshing needed?

DualValve

Back