What's new
What's new

Monarch CY I need this part "Long Shot"

So since there isn't a part to be had, I'm making a new one.

Made from a shoulder bolt McMaster number 91259A476, Spring 9657K308, and Steel tube 9220K471.

I will machine down the tube to correct OD and Length, Machine the end disc, machine the head of the shoulder bolt to original dimensions (not really necessary), assemble and trim unwanted threads.

Nicely Done.

WillyWilly: that sure looks nice.. well done..

A question: on the original part, was the larger diameter tapered edge end disc
threaded onto the shaft ?
Looking at your original and mine on my lathes, I can't tell if it was threaded or
maybe peened on the end of the shaft, to retain the spring, sleeve and disc?

Are you going to use Loctite, or maybe a single 'peen' with a prick-punch to
keep the disc from coming loose ?

DualValve.

WillyWilly: that sure looks nice.. well done..

A question: on the original part, was the larger diameter tapered edge end disc
threaded onto the shaft ?
Looking at your original and mine on my lathes, I can't tell if it was threaded or
maybe peened on the end of the shaft, to retain the spring, sleeve and disc?

Are you going to use Loctite, or maybe a single 'peen' with a prick-punch to
keep the disc from coming loose ?

DualValve.

I could never tell if the disc was threaded or a press fit. I didn't want to take the only one I had apart since I planned on using. I did use Loctite on the threads and ordered the shoulder bolt to permit the disc to be tightened down on the shoulder. It works well and after trimming the excess threads, flap wheel on the face of the disc, it looks just like the original other than the fact I didn't take time to turn down the shoulder bolt head. I didn't really need to since it fit well.
I would suggest using a shorter spring than I originally stated. I ended up using a 1" spring. It seem to give the same force than the original.

I have extra parts if needed.

Back