What's new
What's new

monarch EE

claya

Cast Iron
What are the limitations of a hydraulic turret style tailstock monarch EE, without a threading gearbox? We need a decent manual 12 x20 size lathe, and the prices of standard round dial EE's are going to prohibitive till the end of time. We have a cnc Mori for the daily stuff, but need a manual once everywhile for the simple bushing etc... Lacking the threading gearbox, will it not have any semi-auto feeds? Any other limitations that I may regret after spending many hours on a regular EE with a normal single tailstock.

The machine will be called a manufacturing model, based on a basic turning/threading /boring lathe with no threading,
The basic feed only gearbox has 6 feeds, from .0015" to .006".
On that basic machine, turrets, tracers, could be added at extra cost.

Phil is right about looking for a regular machine, over the turret, power feed turret, dedicated tracer models.
The turrets take up most of the center distance that is already short, pretty much for short parts. That may be OK for you.
I have a 1951 basic manufacturing model, no threading, 6 power feeds, and regular tailstock, it is like the Hardinge TFB HLVH, and good second lathe in addition to a full featured model to take the brunt of punishment, preserving the more expensive toolroom machines.

It all depends on what work you need to do on a manual lathe. The nice thing about a manufacturing model 10EE is that it is a 10EE, and D1-3 tooling is pretty common. Very likely the bed is not worn, and it will have a 2-speed gearbox so you have the same range of spindle speeds as a toolroom lathe, and you can do excellent spindle work up to 12-15” in length. It probably has a rear dovetail on the cross slide, so you can do second op work with two or three tool posts. If you need occasional threading you can use the turret with the right tool holders. If the price is right, and it does what you need, go for it.

I have a 1951 basic manufacturing model, no threading, 6 power feeds, and regular tailstock, it is like the Hardinge TFB HLVH, and good second lathe in addition to a full featured model to take the brunt of punishment, preserving the more expensive toolroom machines.

We only need it for the odd simple, short turning, boring parts we need for repair, or fixtures etc... We have gotten by without a toolroom or standard shop lathe for 2 decades. I have a neighbor shop that has a standard EE, in case we ever need it, like once a year.

Just tired of having to remove/install and recut softjaws on the Mori cnc for each simple lathe part that occurs 2-3 times a month or more. About 90% of the time, we just need to put a hole in the center of a round piece. Or reduce the diameter of a piece and poke or bore a hole, or make a sleeve.

We very rarely do anything longer than 10-12 inches. And pretty much never need power tailstock. So thus far the only feature we might miss out is tapers, and possibly the minimum of feedrates. Although we are rarely concerned about finishes on the manual parts... Fits and clearances, sometimes are a goal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The plain manufacturing model I have is a 1951, it was last at the Hanford site national lab. The original drive is intact, if it was converted, it wouldnt matter if it was an ee or something else serviceable.
The function of the original drive systems is why I put up with the maintenance requirements and other cost of ownership.
Because of popularity, and its cool to have one, many dont care about the drive, they wont really use it anyway.
The spindle operation, is precision not found on any other machine.
From stop, the spindle will reach 4000 rpms in 2 seconds.
From running, the spindle will come to a stop in 2 seconds from 4000 rpms
And that action is smooth, the gears in the machine dont slam. You can throw the lever directly into reverse, the spindle stops in 2 seconds, pause 2 seconds, back to speed in the other direction at full speed in 2 seconds, yes, I like these things!
At lower rpms the spindle function can be used to advantage in single point threading.

The original drive really makes the machine, but also the main problem.

We only need it for the odd simple, short turning, boring parts we need for repair, or fixtures etc... We have gotten by without a toolroom or standard shop lathe for 2 decades. I have a neighbor shop that has a standard EE, in case we ever need it, like once a year.

Just tired of having to remove/install and recut softjaws on the Mori cnc for each simple lathe part that occurs 2-3 times a month or more. About 90% of the time, we just need to put a hole in the center of a round piece. Or reduce the diameter of a piece and poke or bore a hole, or make a sleeve.

We very rarely do anything longer than 10-12 inches. And pretty much never need power tailstock. So thus far the only feature we might miss out is tapers, and possibly the minimum of feedrates. Although we are rarely concerned about finishes on the manual parts... Fits and clearances, sometimes are a goal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If that is all you need it for then why fool around with an old 10ee. Most any lathe will do if finish is not an issue. Get something with a modern drive system so you don't have to worry about keeping the thing running.

Back