What's new
What's new

Monarch Inspection Cards

bythebookbob

Aluminum
Have Monarch inspection cards for:
12 X 30 lathe S/N 20089 dated 10/15/42
12 X 30 lathe S/N 34352 dated 06/07/51 including foundation plan blueprint.
10 X 20 lathe S/N EE31033 dated 04/16/48

It would be nice to see if these machines are still in existence and could be re-united with their reports.

The inspection reports are carbon copies sent with the machines at time of delivery. They are 12 x 18 inches.

Foundation plan blueprint is 36 x 48 inches. Could possibly photograph and post if desired.

Bob

Thank you for posting the inspection sheet. It is good a lesson in Monarch terminology!

What is commonly called oil level sight glass = Bull's Eye

Inside drive end of base = Cabinet Leg

Back gearbox = Motor 6 to 1 Gearbox

Carriage lock = Carriage Binder Clamp

Carriage roller gibs = Carriage Clamp Gibs

It's curious that this was for a 1948 lathe, a square dial, while the lathe depicted on the sheet is a round dial. They probably had many of these sheets left over from the huge production in WWII.

6 to 1 vs 5 to 1?

Thank you for posting the inspection sheet. It is good a lesson in Monarch terminology!

What is commonly called oil level sight glass = Bull's Eye

Inside drive end of base = Cabinet Leg

Back gearbox = Motor 6 to 1 Gearbox

Carriage lock = Carriage Binder Clamp

Carriage roller gibs = Carriage Clamp Gibs

It's curious that this was for a 1948 lathe, a square dial, while the lathe depicted on the sheet is a round dial. They probably had many of these sheets left over from the huge production in WWII.

An undated (module drive era) 10EE brochure I have indicates the gear reduction is 5 to 1 rather than 6 to 1. Anyone know when this change took place? Incidentally this brochure uses the term "speed reduction unit" rather than "gearbox".

The "Handling and Installation" materials (covers general installation, rigging and leveling of models EE, AA, W, BB, M, N, NN, K, CK C, CY and CU) that came as part of the documentation package specific to my 1977 10EE looks like it has a date code of 1944 and shows a round dial 10EE. So I guess Monarch is still getting some mileage out of WWII era documents.
David

Last edited:
If I read this right, it looks like a manufacturing EE without leadscrew or tailstock. Manufacturing EE were not held to as tight tolerence as Toolroom EE (but still better than the average lathe).

Also the tiled of the report EE and 3E.... I have never heard reference to a 3E model of the EE.

I have seen these reports going back to the '50's, but not one this old. Very interesting, thank you for taking the time to post.

John

The manual for this particular EE was in fact labeled "10" MODEL "EE" PRECISION TURRET LATHE, SERIAL EE-31033" which might explain missing lead screw. The lathe was sold to General Electric Company, Pittsfield, Massachusetts. GE brass tag# 26293

I have other inspection reports/manuals for geared head Monarch lathes if there is interest in them as well.

Bob

Monarch CK 12 x 30 S/N 20089 Inspection Report

Dear Karl,

Happy to oblige.

CK 12 x 30 S/N 20089 delivered to Greenfield Tap & Die Corp., Greenfield, MA. Dated 10/15/1942. Interesting to note, order was entered 08/03/1942 and promised for 01/05/1943 but was complete 10/15/1942. Maybe GTD was given higher priority due to their importance in the war effort. Also interesting is that headstock and spindle alignment are out of specification but machine was approved for shipment.

CK-20089-1.jpg

CK-20089-3.jpg

CK20089-2.jpg

BTBB

Inspection card, carbon copy and maunaul CY23439

I have the above mentioned card which came with a manual I purchased from England. It lists the original owner as War Department, Cleveland Oh. I'm guessing that was a depot or shipping point. I expect the lathe was sent overseas. I wonder if it ever came back or what may have become of it. If the possible owner happens to see this, i will gladly pass on the card.

Dear Karl,

Glad to help. Have the manual as well if you don't have one. I believe I may even have some blueprints... Not to make you or others cry, but the GTD plant was chuck full of beautiful equipment. Monarch's, Lodge & Shipley's, Hendy's, LeBlond's, Pratt & Whitney etc., you name it, it was there! An acquaintance of mine told me of a guy that had rights to cleaning out the factory in preparation for demolition. My friend had been purchasing electrical switchgear for his business from the old works. I contacted the seller and was given a tour of the plant and was offered anything I wanted at scrap prices. Much of the machinery was pristine! I made a list of all that I was interested in, (a long list!) and made arrangements for purchase and removal the following week. In the meantime, the person who told me about the equipment in the first place made another visit to the plant to get some more electrical equipment. He fancied the fire control panel and decided to remove it. I read about the pandemonium that ensued in the local paper. Apparently the system was still live, DUH! As the complex was old and soaked with oil, and as all of the zones became active, the fire department thought that the entire structure was ablaze and responded accordingly. The irony is that my acquaintance got away scot free and the guy who was cleaning out the plant was banished from the site. Everything was sold for scrap and the wreckers ball leveled the plant. All I was able to save was some tooling and a file cabinet full of manuals. A housing project now occupies the former factory location. As further insult, the famous Wiley & Rusell dam of John Russell Cutlery fame that provided power to this plant is scheduled to be removed as "The dams block the upstream migration of pre-spawning adult anadromous fish to their historic spawning areas, and the downstream migration of adults and juvenile fish to the ocean,"....Oh well, you can see I'm still a bit peeved about this and it's been sixteen years!:(

BTBB

Bob,

Talk about a sad story. I'm glad you at least got the printed material. I would be interested in anything you have relating to the 12CK. Let me know what you have and what you consider a fair price.

Thanks,

kb

Back