UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Monarch Lathe AA 1942

Hello,
    I have a 1942 aa 16 inch monarch lathe. I am in need of some information on the square bar that rides along the front that actuates the clutch. My lathe doesn't have these pieces any more. From pictures it looks like a square bar rides on a collar and connects to a right 90 degree box that has a shaft that travels under the bed and connects to backside lever and that lever actuates the clutch. What size square bar? Is it actually a small gear box that connects to square shaft and sits right next to change gear box?

If anyone is parting out a lathe with these parts please let me know.

Also I mistackingly purchase a steady rest for this that is several inches too broad for my lathe. It is however a monarch 16 inch steady rest. I have it for sale for what I have in it $305 and I can send pictures if interested. Of course I also still need a steady rest of the proper size.my-monarch-lathe.jpgimg-1104.jpgimg-1103.jpgimg-1105.jpgimg-1106.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

that actuates the clutch
    Steady rest likely for later 14 - all of which swung at least 16 1/2 - that is why the center height is 8 1/4"

As near as I know your clutch lever is the one located highest on the head stock

Three remaining speed change levers show that it is the eight speed headstock

I seriously doubt the AA in the photos is any "newer" than early thirties - but I can always be wrong

Good time lines here - for an example, if you have threaded spindle nose instead of Monarch designed FLANGED spindle nose, lathe predates September 1929.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17574.pdf

Serial stamped in between two front ways at right end would be interesting , too

Thumbnails = My right angle box looks like so on my 1946 CW 16 X 102. I doubt your AA ever had such there. A way to check is to see if the two tapped holes are there in the bottom face of the bed.

Link is more like the lathe in the photos and is dated 1930. Thanks to John Legge and Greg Menke

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/...n-127-1930.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_0285.jpg   dcp_0286.jpg   dcp_0287.jpg   dcp_0288.jpg  
    Last edited by johnoder; 09-13-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johnoder
    Thanks so much for the info and pictures. Do you have pictures of the part that attaches to the carriage and the holder with collet at the end of the bed. Also what size square shaft does it take? The markings at the end of the ways states”Inspected by AFO lot # AA 3039”.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ksdavid View Post
    Johnoder
    Thanks so much for the info and pictures. Do you have pictures of the part that attaches to the carriage and the holder with collet at the end of the bed. Also what size square shaft does it take? The markings at the end of the ways states”Inspected by AFO lot # AA 3039”.
    3039 is from 1929.

If you read thru my post and look at the linked info you will see your lathe had none of that clutch actuating stuff - like my photos.

It has the clutch lever up on the head stock only

My lathe doesn't have these pieces any more.
    It never had them

Walk around back and I would expect you would see nothing back there to hook up any linkage to if you took the clutch linkage back there

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has both the lever on top and a linkage point on the back side as well as marks on the side of the carriage and end of th

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has both the lever on top and a shift linkage on back as well as marks on the carriage and end of bed where these items were attached

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will try to get some more pictures this weekend. At some point I may try to fabricate something similar that’s why I am wanting to know what size the square shaft is and any pictures anyone may have of the carriage and end of bed pieces that the square shaft passes through, as the monarch manual has poor photo quality of any of this.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll check my square shaft for you, maybe later today - ON EDIT - square shaft on my CW 16 is .750"

Thumbnail is view of bracket that holds up far end. Bracket bolts to bottom of bearing block for lead screw and feed rod

Bracket contains a bush with a square hole, and has a thin cover held on with screws on its outer end

Two other thumbnails relate to pieces. Note there are TWO items that bolt to BOTTOM face of bed - the gear box and its related "pillow block" - gear box front and "pillow block" rear

(On Edit - Item 32 counterweight is a revelation to me - never had one - no wonder the clutch lever does not feel right )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails monarch-bracket.jpg   manual-scan-crop_17.jpg   manual-scan_17.jpg  
    Last edited by johnoder; 09-14-2018 at 06:15 PM.