What's new
What's new

Monarch Lathe Id and Specs

dave machine

Plastic
I have recently purchased this lathe on a online auction and am looking for the specific model info as well as motor specs so that I can hook it up correctly and use it. The lathe is a 20" swing and ways are not stamped in the usual location but have 59-3486 stamped on the outside of the v way just below the headstock. I removed the belt cover and found a paper tag attached to the motor containing the following info: upper left corner of tag is a X51 then a so# 8146663. Down at the bottom of the tag just above the test stamp is an other number: 35160-3486, lastly the test stamp Test complete number is 55145. Aug 18 1945 is the date tested and the location and facility is; Electrical Laboratory P.S.N.Y.. I am entertaining the possibility of converting the motor to a 7.5 horsepower Leason farm duty 240V single Phase motor that I have that turns 1740 RPM. Will this work if I can fab an appropriate mount, and will it Have sufficent torque? I don't have three Phase power to the shop and could buy a converter if I have to but I don't know what power requirements I need for the proper converter. Any help would be appreciated

All good info so far, thanks. I will be getting some pictures out soon as I put the lathe back together. It had some problems with the hand feed gear slipping in the apron. I just fixed that yesterday by disassembling the apron gearset and discovering that the driven gear on the spur gear shaft that connects to the rack had a sheared Woodruf key. That was a bit complicated to do ( lots of disassembly and reassembly but was an easy fix. As far as the motor conversion it may just be a bad idea and I will go with plan B and get a military surplus generator that can handle three phase power requirements. I plan to also get a Bridgport mill as well and this may be the better way to do it without getting to complicated. I will not be using these machines for full time work. I just need to be able to fabricate things to maintain equip and build things for my operation. Most work I will be doing will be rough get it done to fix stuff and not real fine precision work. The lathe is missing some placards and tags and I still dont know for sure what three phase voltage it requires. The wires remaining from when it was unhooked from service are just three wires so I would assume that the machine must be grounded seporatly and all three wires are hot?

Back