What's new
What's new

Monarch lathe info

texasgeartrain

Titanium
My apologies, i only have one pic atm, and very little info from seller. It is supposed to be a Monarch 15x54. Other than that i know not much yet. I will go to see it this weekend.

I know its not much to go, but any thoughts from what you see in pic is appreciated.

Attachments

• 00202_fvviPtQWRo5_1200x900.jpg
    00202_fvviPtQWRo5_1200x900.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 256
Probably 16x54, with a max swing of 18 1/2", maybe a CY looks very similar to mine but hard to tell under all the crud. WWII built. Mine has a 1 3/8" spindle hole. Great machine.

Curious what hes askin for it. Think I would have fired it up oiled and used it alittle before trying to sell.

I would have immediately fired any worker in my shop that left a chuck wrench in the chuck on the lathe....
Be nervous..anyone who treats a machine as that one seems to be, surely has done zero maintenance or care over the years....

Never understand why people run photos of machines for sale and they are dirty,strewn with crap and have junk piled about.....Says volumes about their attitude toward the equipment...
Cheers Ross

Not a CY, no lead screw reverse on apron (which involves a HUMP on top of QC box)

If actually a 16 / 18 1/2 maybe CW

Maybe 12KK or 14 - if truly 15", the 12" Monarchs that look like this culprit all swing 14 1/2

Have CW manual that can be emailed if it turns out that way

Possibly the larger HS tag will tell all - like the model and serial and date made

Same lister has large capable looking B&S horizontal "new" enough to have double overarms

Thumbnails handy similar machine tool - when less tired looking

Attachments

• scan 01.jpg
    scan 01.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Scan 02.jpg
    Scan 02.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 64
  • scan 03.jpg
    scan 03.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 61
I would have immediately fired any worker in my shop that left a chuck wrench in the chuck on the lathe....
Be nervous..anyone who treats a machine as that one seems to be, surely has done zero maintenance or care over the years....

Never understand why people run photos of machines for sale and they are dirty,strewn with crap and have junk piled about.....Says volumes about their attitude toward the equipment...
Cheers Ross

They're selling several machines. All of them, and the shop from what i can see looks abandoned, or a closed down business, Looks like a total mess and not in use for quite a while. Maybe a personal shop that got out of hand and neglected.

I honestly have no business buying anymore machines atm. I'm packed wall to wall as it is, and probably need a solid 2 years to finish my various projects.

However, through reasons i can't legitimately justify, I'd really like a Monarch, L & S, or Hendey somwhere in the 14-18" swing range, preferably 1000ish rpm top end range, though i might not mind 600ish rpm either.

To make it happen, atleast floor space wise, as well as financially, i was thinking of selling one or both South Bend 16x6's i have. But this was more a long term goal. If the right deal fell in my lap, i might try to make it happen sooner though.

The listing:
Machinist Lathe Equipment For Sale - heavy equipment - by owner - sale

I like SB's but next to a Monarch they are toys. If you can cut a deal and the machine is in reasonable condition, by all means trade the SB for the Monarch.

Tom

Got a look at everything. Nothing has been used in quite a while, and cleanliness and organization was never present. The building is kind of iffy and serves as a garage of sorts behind thier home. There is about a 10' extension of a low hanging,maybe 7' high, overhead roof to garage door. No lifting equipment what so ever, bring your own, and your own help. Its an elderly couple, and the husband is not mobile enough to come out. A daughter is attempting to work deals for them.

I personally almost never get sucked in to looking at anything, not just machines, if there is not some sort of asking price. However, they would not give me any kind of ball park. I took a shot to see, but i get the feeling they used me for a sounding board, to generate a bit more asking price from future lookers. They were willing to take offers, but not actually sell yet, which annoyed me for the hours of lost time i had. Had i known that, i could have been doing more productive things.

I did manage to pry out of them that they are hoping to sell the whole lot for $10,000. Which is the Monarch, a 10 or 13 south bend, a bridgeport 1hp j head with a small table, 36" i think, and the old b & s horizontal.

Now there is tooling to go with those, but not in real good, cared for shape.

I was guessing cleaned up, selling everything off in pieces, including tooling, it all might pull 5-6000. But 10,000 is too far out of reality, plus working out all your own lifting and moving. . .

Anyway to answer the original question the Monarch is a 14AA top speed 830. I have a bunch more pics of everything should anyone desire. pic of tag:

Attachments

• 20180609_121122.jpg
    20180609_121122.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 97

Back