What's new
What's new

Monarch Lathe Question

Markolise

Plastic
Hello everyone.
Just made an account, but have been using this forum for a while.
I just bought a 16" Monarch lathe helical gear with threaded spindle so probably around late 20's to early 30's. (Its been seen here before)

There is an extra lever that I have not been able to figure out. I was told by the previous owner that it was a brake, if its a brake its either damaged or not working properly or it might have a different function. So far I have not seen this addon lever on many other Monarchs on this forum or in documents that have been uploaded for these older models.

Picture attached.
LeverMod.jpg

Thanks for the reply I read through the other post and the lead screw forward and reverse lever work great on mine, and even the detente spring makes sure that the lever locks in place.
The lever in my picture is not on the apron, its below and to the right of the apron just below the clutch engage. It follows the apron but is on its own linkage.

When I follow the linkage it goes into the main gear box of the lathe, but from there I can't see whats happening in the gear box.

That's a spindle clutch. I have a '44 12CK that's laid out exactly as yours. The apron lever may not be doing anything because of wear which is what mine had. Observe that when the clutch next to the headstock is operated, the lever in question follows.

Tom

TDegenhart, close to that, the apron spindle clutch is to the right of the unknown lever, and works. In my previously attached photo both spindle clutch levers are labeled "clutch engage/disengage" and the unknown lever is circled. The unknown lever leads to a small pinion and arm that goes into the gear box on the front side of the lathe just behind the 1-8 threading selector

I will take better pictures when I get home, hopefully it will be a bit clearer. Here is a picture of where that linkage is going on at least the front side of the lathe. I have outlined the linkage so its easier to see. Hopefully you can spot the pinion in my previous picture as well, its more in shadow but visible.
UknownLever.jpg

Markolise,

I hate to state the obvious, but you can always call Monarch directly at 937-492-4111. The folks there are very nice and helpful.

Additional pictures, somehow deleted my original reply... The mobile site seems a bit buggy.

And I did call monarch waiting to hear back.

IMG_20190401_171051824.jpg
IMG_20190401_171054969.jpg
IMG_20190401_171101331.jpg
IMG_20190401_171105129.jpg

The clutch and feed operate somewhat the same way. You can use the apron reverse lever to start and stop the lathe, might make a bang as the dog teeth engage. The shaft with bevel gear to the left goes to the lack of the lathe and operates a rod the opens and closes the clutch. Have someone observe as you move the various levers on the font.

Tom

Edit:- Did I blow that one. The apron reverse does not start and stop the spindle as I implied. It only starts, stops and reverses the apron feeds.

So if I'm reading this right, I have 3 handles to turn on and off the clutch? 2 connected to each other and one operating through the lack... Or is the lack supposed to do the reversing?

I'll assume lead screw reverse has been not understood. I'll suggest again reading of Post #17 in the linked thread in this thread's Post # 2

Lead screw reverse is nothing more than a system of KEEPING IN TIME the spindle and lead screw, but ALSO allow reversing of lead screw in relation to spindle - all the while with spindle turning. Involves single tooth dog clutches. These single tooth dog clutches are controlled by your mystery lever. The clutches do BANG but only as a result of reversing the lead screw and the bang is a result of running the spindle too fast for the system

Has nothing at all to do with spindle clutch or starting and stopping lathe

...The shaft with bevel gear to the left goes to the lack of the lathe and operates a rod the opens and closes the clutch...

Johnoder, this is what I was referring to.
I've read the #17 post which doesn't mention this bevel gearing, and the bevel gearing doesn't seem to reverse anything. I've checked with both feed options switching between the two.

I've read the #17 post which doesn't mention this bevel gearing, and the bevel gearing doesn't seem to reverse anything. I've checked with both feed options switching between the two.

No bevel gear since by HENDEY - who used other means of controlling the single tooth dog clutches - but with the apron lever in the same location as Monarch - and with the same results - leave spindle running, reverse or put lead screw in neutral and never "get out of time"

You can thread all day and never touch the half nut lever to disengage it - or have to look at a "thread dial"

To check if this is the leadscrew reverse handle, you need to be in the THREADING mode (not FEEDING mode).

Put the lathe into the threading mode and a somewhat lower speed suitable for threading (no need to engage the half nut). Turn on the spindle and watch the leadscrew rotation. Switch the handle. Did it reverse the leadscrew direction of rotation?

You need to be in the THREADING mode (not FEEDING mode).

Put the lathe into the threading mode (do not engage the half nut) and turn on the spindle. Watch the leadscrew rotation. Switch the handle. Did the leadscrew reverse its rotation?

This is not the lockable forward and reverse lever on the apron specific to threading, this is a lever to the lower right of the apron. I have attached a video so you guys can see. I have switched the lever for both threading and feed. Should be able to hear it switching.

This is also not the lever that engages and disengages the clutch, it's to the right of the lever I'm using.

I am getting confused. When the lathe is running and the carriage is moving, what happens when that lever that operates the bevel gears is toggled from one position to another? What I thought was the spindle clutch lever is the carriage feed forward/reversal control. Do this with the lead screw and then with the feed rod, the rod that drives the carriage and crossslide.

Tom

EDit I saw the video after I wrote this. I suspect it is time to take some covers off. Maybe I didn't see it, but regardless of the position of the suspect lever, the lead screw and feed rod rotation did not change. I suspect that there is a wishbone shift fork that toggles the dog clutch between forward, off and reverse. I think the connection between the rod and shift fork is loose.

Tom

Hmmm. Then it's either something else or there are missing part(s) inside. Please keep us updated when you hear from the manufacturer.

P.S. Don't confuse apron level controls with the direction of leadscrew or feed rod rotation. For example, if you're in the feeding mode, you can reverse carriage feed direction by either reversing the feed rod (usually reserved for emergencies or special needs) or by the handle on the apron. None of us is talking about apron controls.

I am getting confused. When the lathe is running and the carriage is moving, what happens when that lever that operates the bevel gears is toggled from one position to another? What I thought was the spindle clutch lever is the carriage feed forward/reversal control. Do this with the lead screw and then with the feed rod, the rod that drives the carriage and crossslide.

Tom

He just did, Tom. Watch the video: neither the feed rod nor leadscrew change directions. He first shows the threading mode and then the feeding mode.

Does nothing... From what I can tell.

The machine could use an oil change. I'll start taking a look for a disconnected linkage when the oil is drained.

Back