What's new
What's new

Monarch lathe to be scrapped

Witt32

Plastic
Wondering if this lathe is worth the rescue. I've done some searching but haven't found much info on it yet. Missing some parts and some parts are broke. Can anyone help me out or tell me if I'm crazy to even consider it?

Thanks for your help!

Looks good to me, but it won't be for long in the pushes

Get a flat bed over there and winch it up.

I don't see too much missing or broken, thread handle, compound handle

pretty trivial

The owner should be bull whipped for putting a wonderful old machine like that outside.

As for yourself, do you have a need for a monster like that? its going to weigh more than 10,000 lb. take up a huge amount of floor space and, importantly, have a low top end speed.
Parts will be beyond expensive.

Rescue it, get it under a roof, then evaluate its condition. Too much for you, sell it for what you have in it and make someone happy. Won't last where it is.

Tom

FWIW- looks like it was a low use maxhine before it was parked...not even a scar on the compound.

You would be nuts not to grab it IMO...not much you couldn't do with it.

The owner should be bull whipped for putting a wonderful old machine like that outside.

As for yourself, do you have a need for a monster like that? its going to weigh more than 10,000 lb. take up a huge amount of floor space and, importantly, have a low top end speed.
Parts will be beyond expensive.

You forgot to add' And leave it for me'

I know the 15" size would spin over a grand, so one would think a VFD would make it quite useful

Looks like a hell of a machine. Would be a shame to not make that a permanent monument in your garage or shop. Yeah it needs some parts and a lot of work, but like others have said it doesn't look "too" bad. What does it cost to rescue it (besides the rigging / shipping)?

That is a crying shame to see that machine sitting there. SAVE IT! Where is it at in Minnesota? I might be able to lend a hand.

Thanks for all the comments. I've worked out a deal to get it, just have to work out logistics. I'll post some pictures of the move when it happens.

Thanks again!

FWIW, that lathe has the signs of being dumped on its face. The biggest thing I would check is that the apron is not broken where it attaches to the carriage. If the apron is broken, it may not be worth saving, even for a Monarch.

Also, I'd pull the cover off the headstock. If it's full of water, I'd just walk away.

Built in 1950, it's a series 60. Series 61's came later. I have one, built in '57.

Certainly worth a rescue, as these are incredible lathes when working. Some walk away from these projects, as stated above, but some of us have rescued and restored far worse. The size of the project is up to you. At the very least, there are some extremely valuable parts from this machine that could get 50 other machines completed, assuming you can't get this one back in service.

As stated, be prepared for a machine in excess of 10,000 lbs. Mine is 54" between centers, and weighs exactly 10,000 lbs.. You're probably looking at 11K to 12K weight. I moved mine with a wrecker, who gently picked it up off my trailer and set it nicely inside my shop for me. Bring 4X4 wooden beams to protect the screws, if you're slinging it and picking it up from above, as Monarch recommends in their manual.

Monarch lift 2.JPG

Monarch lift 1.JPG

Wondering if this lathe is worth the rescue. I've done some searching but haven't found much info on it yet. Missing some parts and some parts are broke. Can anyone help me out or tell me if I'm crazy to even consider it?

Thanks for your help!

You want crazy? Passing on it would be.

dee
;-D

I was able to get the lathe loaded, cleaned up, and moved into its temporary home.

I have a few projects I need to get done before I can tackle this one. I know I'm going to need a few things:
-Steady rest
-Follow rest
-I'd like to find the rest of the taper attachment which I'm told they removed, cut up, and threw away
-I've seen a bracket that attaches to the tailstock which has a handle that pivots on the lead screw for moving the tailstock, which it also had and was tossed....

Anyone know of any of these parts?

Thanks again everyone!

Brandon

You don`t need any of those parts to get the lathe working, they are nice to have, but other steadies can be adapted,plenty of oil on the ways and that tailstock will glide.
Enjoy.

Back