Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Headstock innards are supposed to be much dirtier, and clutch dogs are supposed to be rounded off!

2. Likes Zap921, cyanidekid liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's the back story, why and how did it end up on the side of the road looking like a picnic table at the park.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    What's the back story, why and how did it end up on the side of the road looking like a picnic table at the park.
    I first saw it about a month ago while driving to a jobsite. At that time I didn't get a good look. Last week when I drove by I got a better look and just so happens I know the guy who owns the property so I called and asked if I could stop and take a look. I looked at it and called him right away to work out a deal. He's in the excavation business too so I know him pretty well. He said I can pay him scrap price but not to worry about it now, just get it out of there. Now it's in my shed....

He got it from a demo job he did at a glass factory not too far from here. Not sure how he moved it and I don't think I want to know!

I talked to Monarch - it was originally sold to M.W. Kellogg Company in Jersey City NJ. They did work at that location for the Manhattan Project. Not sure what they were doing there in the 50's. It was sold to them with a tracer attachment so must have been some sort of production work possibly. It doesn't show much sign of heavy use.

From New Jersey to Shakopee, MN, to a ditch, and to my shed. Interesting history!

5. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    FWIW, that lathe has the signs of being dumped on its face. The biggest thing I would check is that the apron is not broken where it attaches to the carriage. If the apron is broken, it may not be worth saving, even for a Monarch.
    Trashed longitudinal feed handwheel seems the only major damage, so mebbe just inexpertly chained + a bad slip, rather than a full face-plant?

Functional handwheels aren't mysterious to sort, and the HS gears & dogs look nice enough to call it a "lucky find", though one bronze shifter shoe seems to have gone missing?

2CW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    though one bronze shifter shoe seems to have gone missing?
    Well spotted. That is odd.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Well spotted. That is odd.
    Rare.. at least in Monarch lathes, yah?

Possible casting flaw such that it cracked across the pivot-pin hole?

I'd guess it still works OK as-is with a gentle touch, as it is after all, "overbuilt" in general.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have some bronze shoes, factory new; just not sure if they fit your machine. I’ll check one against the leftover gear I have (same gear as the one your shifter shoe fits).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've wondered what it was like to live in a place where you could scrap out such a machine........................here, it would be top dollar.
    And yes, whoever left it there should be horse whipped.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    though one bronze shifter shoe seems to have gone missing?

2CW
    Good call! I didn't notice that. Is it possible to replace them without removing the shaft?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Witt32 View Post
    Good call! I didn't notice that. Is it possible to replace them without removing the shaft?
    Be sure to drain the oil and have a very good look in the bottom of the headstock. It may be down there. Clean the oiler while in there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Highly doubtful - it needs to be in one-piece to do its job. IF the remains are still in the sump, they'll have broken across the pivot pin hole.

Even if it were possible, pulling and replacing the shaft - document it WELL as you go - should be less total labour.

There are higher priorities.. Getting suitable power to it. Fitting a traverse handwheel "of some sort", even if temporary. Seeing if the costly spindle bearings are still OK. ... etc.

I'd be tempted to see if it worked well-enough as-is with a bit of care in shifting.

At least until you sort how much work you'll have for it, might trade it or sell it rather than re-furbi-shit and use it, etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By shaft, do you mean the little pin that holds the bronze shoe in place? Shouldn’t need to move anything else. A shoe or two slipped down the collar, but I managed to rescue them from the abyss and try again. Unless my memory is off, installing/replacing the shoes goes smoothly. These were the last step of actual assembly when I replaced that “big and little” gear that your bronze shoe is missing from.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have very similar machines- 16" Catalog, 22.5" swing, though you have a longer bed and I have the closed gearbox. Once you get it going, you'll be a happy camper! Mine wasn't quite as dirty as yours when I found it, but pretty rough.

6253d97b-5758-4e9a-9045-8b9ab40d2e77.jpg

16. Likes Zap921 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations on a great find and rescue!

In your post #18, your photo of the gearbox with the cover removed: In the upper left corner of the image, there appears to be a loose piece of sheet metal, maybe an oil deflector, or some other type of shield? It appears to have a circular tab at one end, like it used to be secured under a bolt?
    I'd highly suggest looking in the gear box and use either a magnet to fish that item out, or maybe a pair of long-reach needle-nose pliers.
    OR if my eyes are deceiving me, and it's a part in it's proper place, please let me/us know.

I do know, a lathe has a magnetism that attracts my hand and arm to turn the chuck, the spindle, just to feel the gearbox and spindle turn.. With this stray item in the gears.. It could make some unfortunate noises and at the very least bend the piece of sheet metal, and it might be something you wish to have back in it's proper place,, not 'just-removed' so it won't cause mischief.

Also: you might contact the friend you got the machine from and ask him if by chance anyone saved the pieces of the carriage hand-wheel that got broken into many pieces ?? You might get even MORE lucky and someone tossed the pieces into the back of a truck, and it's still there. Just the handle from the wheel is worth finding and using on a new-built wheel.

The spindle nose appears to have D1-6 chuck-mounting. I have a brand new Bison 8" 3-jaw chuck w/D1-6 mount that I bought for a 14" Monarch lathe I had a deposit on, and was ready to go fetch.. When I got a call from the seller: 'My neighbor reminded me that I had promised to give him first right to buy this lathe, He wants it, and I'm sending your deepest back to you'. 'Sorry, but I live next to the guy'..

So, I have a NEW high-quality 8" chuck that I don't have a lathe to use it on.. If you are interested PM or Email me, The price will be reasonable. [Much less than I paid, and less than an average good-used one] Sorry for the sales pitch.. I have no clue if you already have any chuck or this Monarch.

Please post a photo of that stray piece of sheet metal that I think I see in the gearbox.. I'm very curious what it is.

Best of luck with your find.. Buy a case of scotchbrite pads. And polish that big-guy up!!

DualValve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brandon:
    Here is the image you posted, with the stowaway part in the upper left corner of the image. It's down between the outer case of the headstock and a gear or jackshaft.

straypart.jpg

DualValve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DualValve View Post
    Brandon:
    Here is the image you posted, with the stowaway part in the upper left corner of the image. It's down between the outer case of the headstock and a gear or jackshaft.

straypart.jpg

DualValve
    Oh yeah, that must be where the piece for the shifter went. I'll have to open the cover back up and grab that before I get it powered up. It's been busy here so I haven't done much after cleaning it up and getting in the shed. I'll snap a picture when I get to it.

Believe me, the guy I got it from doesn't have any of the parts. I've asked but no luck!

I picked up a 12" 3 jaw chuck a few weeks ago that should work great. Need to change out the backing plate though. They used it on a large rotary table so it had an odd backing plate that fit their table. I did get a great deal on it though so a new backing plate is no big deal.

Thank You!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a steady rest for a 16" CY I will never use. May be a bit short.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DualValve View Post
    Brandon:

straypart.jpg

DualValve
    That is in amazing condition! if the bearings are good, you are golden!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WillWilly View Post
    I have a steady rest for a 16" CY I will never use. May be a bit short.
    WillWilly - do you happen to have a picture you could send me of your steady rest. I'm definitely interested.

Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was able to get the lathe loaded, cleaned up, and moved into its temporary home.

I have a few projects I need to get done before I can tackle this one. I know I'm going to need a few things:
    -Steady rest
    -Follow rest
    -I'd like to find the rest of the taper attachment which I'm told they removed, cut up, and threw away
    -I've seen a bracket that attaches to the tailstock which has a handle that pivots on the lead screw for moving the tailstock, which it also had and was tossed....

Anyone know of any of these parts?

Thanks again everyone!

Brandon
    You should look at this parting out thread, he might have some needed parts. I bought a few things and they were in great shape.

Parting out Monarch 1610 Series 612