What's new
What's new

Monarch lathes at auction, Tennessee

Hickory

Aluminum
Hi All,

Came across this auction that is a who's who of American machine tool manufacturers. Included are several Monarch lathes, selling not one,but two 13EEs.

No connection with this. Somebody please save them. Furrow Auction Company. 12 December, online only.

Jim

I'm watching that lathe this morning too. Strange auction, whenever it gets a bid, they add 10 minutes to the auction. So much for sniping.

20k for that '89 EE. Somebody's wallet was on fire this morning. The Schaublin is going for $$ too. Gotta be some happy auctioneers this morning. Made my train commute more fun at least to watch.

I googled the address and see that the site was a former Alcoa facility. It seems like an odd collection of equipment for a company like Alcoa. Anybody know what that facility did? It looks like there is a Snap-On forge shop next door, so I wonder whether the Alcoa facility really was part of Snap-On, because the auction includes forging hammers.

The "deal' of this auction maybe was the Rivett 1030? Including the 15% buys fee the numbers were far and above what I was expecting. There were actually three 13EE's the top price was 12,250 + 15%, 14 grand and change, wow.

I am not sure the machinery on site was from that plant. There was a lot of stuff on pallets and sorted in rows. Eastman and Oak Ridge are close by and had a lot of the same type of equipment?

Steve

Saw this one myself. That pace maker and boring mill would have been great. 10 K would have got alot of iron for sure. The Hendey T and Gs were well represented too. Be cryin over this one for awhile.

I had no idea self contained power hammers went for that much! I seen a similar situation at a tool sale in Milwaukee over the weekend. Overpriced anvils that were selling for much more that this auctions anvils.

I wonder if anyone here bought any of the nice toolroom lathes? That was a fantasy sale of fine lathes. However none of them looked they they had been in service recently.

Could indeed have been a "collection of the legends", multiple sources. Or the estate of an earlier collector-of same.

Not a lot wrong with a Rivett 10X0 (S), especially 1030, but still. A 1000EE // 13EE can handle larger work yet and is way easier to drop a modern 3-Phase-only 24-pulse DC Drive onto. Providing one HAS good 3-Phase for it, of course.

Yea,

I was kinda hoping the 13EE's would be cheap, I had that very concept in mind.

Steve

Interesting auction for sure, there were some buys there. Anyone here get anything?

I believe it was all part of the collection of a PM member here.

I had no idea self contained power hammers went for that much! I seen a similar situation at a tool sale in Milwaukee over the weekend. Overpriced anvils that were selling for much more that this auctions anvils.

I didnt look at auction yet, Do you remember what brand and size were they? Always interested in what this world is doing....

Back