What's new
What's new

Monarch lever collet closer late model photo needed

Bodgit2

Plastic
I picked up a late model lever collet closer for my 1988 solid state 10ee. It won't lock the collet properly and suspect there may be a part missing. Does anyone have a photo or diagram of a late model collet closer?
Thanks
Steve

Sorry for the limited detail, but if this seems to match overall, I can get a better shot of the relevant section. Off a '68 square dial.

6b428014c263c97642fd666a0bf5e60f.jpg

There is a gear with a pin that engages a spanner nut on the end of the spindle-- do you have this piece?

20200504_145028.jpg

The straight knurled section slides back and forth and when slid toward the chuck there is a key that engages the gear to prevent loosening.

The gear is missing
I have attached photos of what I got
Is the gear buyable or can I make it?IMG_2682.jpgIMG_2681.jpg
Steve

That part is the one that gets lost,. The closers were made by Royal, I was able to grind one to fit " the back of the ee spindle" from another brand lathe I found on ebay.

Does anyone have a measured drawing of the gear part?
Thanks,
Steve

That part is the one that gets lost,. The closers were made by Royal, I was able to grind one to fit " the back of the ee spindle" from another brand lathe I found on ebay.

Does anyone have a measured drawing of the gear part?
Thanks,
Steve

It's not a drawing, but the dimensions aren't supercritical and my skills are limited.
Slip fit on spindle tube, about half an inch thick depending on exact drawbar setup, parallel faces, and something like teeth to engage the sliding sleeve's locking pin once you've set correct collet tension. Gear teeth are balanced and were easy to make at scale originally, but not specifically necessary if you're diy'ing.

a026621e818e7e2a04396b20e0744060.jpg

It's not a drawing, but the dimensions aren't supercritical and my skills are limited.
Slip fit on spindle tube, about half an inch thick depending on exact drawbar setup, parallel faces, and something like teeth to engage the sliding sleeve's locking pin once you've set correct collet tension. Gear teeth are balanced and were easy to make at scale originally, but not specifically necessary if you're diy'ing.

a026621e818e7e2a04396b20e0744060.jpg

That’s awesome. Thanks so much for your help. Will make one and post. A photo for others.
Steve

Check the relevant dimensions on your setup, but hope that gets you in the ballpark.

Only other note is that the outboard (flat) side should be relatively hard, as the cam side of the closer "fingers" puts a lot of point pressure on it (see pic).

c6ab8f34faf60270c127544030c5cd4b.jpg

I ordered the correctly dimensioned gear from McMaster Carr and will turn it to your dimensions and harden it. Will arrive today.
Will post photos
Thanks so much for your help
Steve

Great work. Unquestionably the best way to make a gear is to buy it. Only when not commercially available should ZK or I be brought in.

Back