What's new
What's new

Monarch model A lubrication Question

Grampajk

Plastic
Since this is my first post, a little introduction. I'm pretty sure I was a member of the forum many years ago but there doesn't seem to be any records of that so I'm back. I could be wrong about that, I spend a lot of time being wrong and I'm comfortable with that. I'm retired (10 years) and have a combination wood and machine shop just for my personal stuff. I was not a professional machinist but over the last 50 years I have evolved to the point where I am not totally insulted by my own work. So on to my problem. Among other machines my go-to lathe is a Monarch Model A cone head that I completely restored over 30 years ago. Most of you probably know that these machines "talk" to you especially after a 3 decade relationship and the old girl has recently been telling me something is wrong. These things are pretty straight forward operationally and are easy to diagnose when something goes sideways but this one has me stumped. I finally figured out that the new rattle was that the bevel gear (no. 208 on the original parts diagram) and the Bevel pinions (no. 226) along with the rest of the parts of the carriage reversing system are not getting any oil. I have checked all the lubrication channels on the apron and everything appears to be flowing as they should be. All the internal parts of the apron are wet except the ones mentioned above which are bone dry. Here is my problem, after spending a lot of time laying on the floor with oil dripping on my face I can't see where the oil for these parts should be coming from. The most likely place would be the bevel gear stud (209) but oil from the oil port directly above the stud on the front of the apron only gets as far as the stud but there doesn't seem to be a way for it to wick on to the face of the main bevel gear (which faces in) or the small side bevel gears. Would appreciate any thoughts on the thing. Obviously I have to get lube on to the gears but laying on the floor dabbing oil on these parts is just not an option. I could get down there with no trouble since I have gravity on my side, getting back up would be an issue. Appreciate any thoughts on how I could fix this. Thanks, Jack

Thanks I have another original pub and parts list but although this one is for the gear head and a latter model it has quite a few things I can use. Appreciate it. Jack

Back