What's new
What's new

Monarch Model M

swellwelder

Stainless
I need an operators' manual for my 1937 Model M. I am sure this question has been asked before, but what is the spindle bore taper? From the diameter, I would quess it is a morse #6, but have no clue if that is it. Also, on the cross slide dial, there is a small knob that can be pulled out and turned 90 degrees to hold it out, but when it is moved in towards the dial, it will exert a slight holding action on the dial at one location as the dial is turned, but not enough to stop the dial. Someone told me it is some kind of threading aid :confused:

Dale Nelson

My records show that a Model M had a #5MT. Can't help you on what the knob does. Could be you have a toolroom verson of the M.

John

Dale:

If you buy my #4 toolbit holders I mentioned in a PM to you for $20 each plus mailing, I will enclose a copy of the only Monarch manual I have ever seen, which applies to all of these style machines, and is very brief.

John Oder
[email protected]

Thanks for the replies. This Model M has a #5 taper in the tailstock, headstock is at least one size bigger. Does an M normally have a crank assisted tailstock? I have heard from "experts" both ways. This is a 22"(actual swing 24") model, built in 1937, D1-6 chuck mount. Brass tag on it says it was used in the Chevrolet frame and stamping plant in Flint, Michigan, interesting because I have a 1938 Chevy Coupe that could conceivably have parts stamped on it that might have a connection to this lathe

Dale

Good evening Dale, how is your model M doing? I am trying to source a complete headstock or parts machine that matches yours. I am wondering if you have heard of any laying around?

Scott

Back