What's new
What's new

10EE Tachometer Bracket Removal Help

Hobby Racer

Aluminum
Machine: 1942 10EE Round Dial

I want to remove the bracket that holds the tachometer gears in place inside the headstock. Seems like it should be a simple task but like most other things on a 10EE it has taper pins. They seem to be blind taper holes AND they do not have threads on the top like the ones inside the back gear that let you lift them out by tightening a top nut.

Does anyone know how to get these out with out damaging anything?

Tach_Bracket_1.jpg Tack_Bracket_2.jpg Tack_Bracket_3.jpg

I already removed the SHCS in the last picture.

I think step one is to remove the tach. I wasn't able to get that far.

If it's of any help, here's how I managed to get the retaining nuts back in place: 10EE Tachometer Retaining Nut Installation. I definitely recommend using something like my guard wires to keep from dropping the nuts when you take them off. In post #4 of that thread, rimcanyon indicates that he know how to get the thing apart.

Good (St Pattie's Day) luck to ye, lad!

Cal

I think step one is to remove the tach. I wasn't able to get that far.

If it's of any help, here's how I managed to get the retaining nuts back in place: 10EE Tachometer Retaining Nut Installation. I definitely recommend using something like my guard wires to keep from dropping the nuts when you take them off. In post #4 of that thread, rimcanyon indicates that he know how to get the thing apart.

Good (St Pattie's Day) luck to ye, lad!

Cal

I already have the tach out, that was easy. You can see its missing in the third picture. The bracket has me stumped.

I noticed the pictures in rimcanyon's thread, the taper pins have the threaded ends with nuts on them that allow you to lift the pins out. That is the problem with my setup. Look at the top of the taper pins, no threads to use to extract the pins!

Machine: 1942 10EE Round Dial

I want to remove the bracket that holds the tachometer gears in place inside the headstock. Seems like it should be a simple task but like most other things on a 10EE it has taper pins. They seem to be blind taper holes AND they do not have threads on the top like the ones inside the back gear that let you lift them out by tightening a top nut.

Does anyone know how to get these out with out damaging anything?

View attachment 344728 View attachment 344729 View attachment 344730

I already removed the SHCS in the last picture.

That tachometer bracket is different than the one on my 1968 machine. If I were trying to get it out, I might first try to use a slide puller like the one I have pictured if you can get most everything off of the bracket and if there is enough room for it to come up. Of course, the bolts would be out. Attempt to bring the bracket and the taper pins up together.

If there isn’t enough room, you may have to rig up a vacuum cleaner, drill and tap them, using a small allen bolt and stack of washers to bring them out individually. Taper pins can be difficult, but they will come out. Go slowly and use force carefully.

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 20

Back