What's new
What's new

Wanted.5hp DC motor with...the gearbox and attached hardware (I know it's fairy dust)

Expressline99

Plastic
I've just acquired a 10ee with a 110V motor that wouldn't run a wood lathe in it. So I need that...plus for a very noob machine move reason. The top cover over the spindle end. Sorta disappeared on the freeway. Yes, please make fun of me. I was aware that's how it usually happens. That's what I get for being excited over a new purchase.
It's a 40's round dial. No idea if the electronics are there. I haven't unloaded it yet. Might need that too will find out in the morning.

I would be happy with buying a new drive with a gearbox. But my understanding is it gave some type of feed back to the electronics on the machine?

Thanks

That's what I did... I put a 7.5hp Allis-Chalmers 480v/3ph 1800rpm motor in the belly, with it's integral fan excised, and a constant-speed electric blower in a shroud in the end, then put a toothed-belt pulley on the bottom, and a toothed-belt pulley on the spindle, with a Gates PolyChain between... about a 3.5:1 or so reduction. To power the motor, I used an old used 10hp Allen Bradley 1336 VFD, and fed it 480v single-phase by using a 7.5kva dry transformer wired backwards (240v in, 480v out) to the VFD's input terminals. A couple big wirewound resistors for dynamic braking, a latching contactor setup on the start-stop switch, put a 10K linear pot on the speed knob, and wired the forward-stop-reverse switch to signal the VFD... plugs into a 240v/50a dryer plug and works like a beast...

Now I have even more to think about. Seems like there are several ways to do this. About the only thing I need a lesson on is the VFDs. After looking around it seems people use 3 phase or single. I can use either except I'm limited by a 5hp rotary converter on the 3 phase 240v . So your way is a possibility now too.

I gotta figure out a different tach as the one in mine is missing the dial leaver? and it's mesh gear behind the dial. The spindle gearing is all there I just need the other bits.

I've just acquired a 10ee with a 110V motor that wouldn't run a wood lathe in it. So I need that...plus for a very noob machine move reason. The top cover over the spindle end. Sorta disappeared on the freeway. Yes, please make fun of me. I was aware that's how it usually happens. That's what I get for being excited over a new purchase.
It's a 40's round dial. No idea if the electronics are there. I haven't unloaded it yet. Might need that too will find out in the morning.

I would be happy with buying a new drive with a gearbox. But my understanding is it gave some type of feed back to the electronics on the machine?

Thanks

Commercial treadmills have them.

From your PMs, looks like you are going with the 10hp 3 phase and VFD...

I suggest you start a build thread over on the hobby machinist site to get help as you go.

I would suggest here because there is FAR more 10EE knowledge. BUT an uncontrolled A hole will shite all over your thread. At least that is what happened to me.

Karl

...........................................................................................
I would suggest here because there is FAR more 10EE knowledge. BUT an uncontrolled A hole will shite all over your thread. At least that is what happened to me.

Karl

That is the number two reason I don't hang out there anymore...

About the only thing I need a lesson on is the VFDs. After looking around it seems people use 3 phase or single. I can use either except I'm limited by a 5hp rotary converter on the 3 phase 240v . So your way is a possibility now too.

You're not limited by your rotary converter... if you use a VFD that accepts single-phase in, it'll do it's 3 phase variable-voltage output magic, and no worries whatsoever. IN my case, I stepped up my 240v single-phase to 480v single, then fed that into two of the three input terminals of my old VFD... whose 3-phase motor output terminals were then connected directly to the 3-phase motor.

As the other note was, you could strip the guts from a good quality treadmill, but modern ones have all sorts of safety and control stuff built into the panel electronics that don't work well in a lathe...

In any circumstance though, just realize, any motor that turns the spindle, will make it cut round parts. Everything after that, is just details. If you find a strong treadmill motor, and rig up some sort of DC drive, direction is just a polarity-reversal away, and short the motor leads for dynamic braking. Use a fancy DC controller, or a stepped-autotransformer into a bridge rectifier, it all comes down to the same thing: motor makes spindle turn.

Once you have a machine that cuts, then put it to work, and improve it as you go. Once you have an operable lathe, you can make any type of adapter, cut any kind of sheave, etc., you need, to adapt what you want to use.... and finally, if you want to try to fit in an original motor/gearbox type setup, start asking for what you think you want- there's plenty of drive parts around this forum, and we know the right people to get them moved to you at the most economical ways possible.

You're not limited by your rotary converter... if you use a VFD that accepts single-phase in, it'll do it's 3 phase variable-voltage output magic, and no worries whatsoever. IN my case, I stepped up my 240v single-phase to 480v single, then fed that into two of the three input terminals of my old VFD... whose 3-phase motor output terminals were then connected directly to the 3-phase motor.

As the other note was, you could strip the guts from a good quality treadmill, but modern ones have all sorts of safety and control stuff built into the panel electronics that don't work well in a lathe...

In any circumstance though, just realize, any motor that turns the spindle, will make it cut round parts. Everything after that, is just details. If you find a strong treadmill motor, and rig up some sort of DC drive, direction is just a polarity-reversal away, and short the motor leads for dynamic braking. Use a fancy DC controller, or a stepped-autotransformer into a bridge rectifier, it all comes down to the same thing: motor makes spindle turn.

Once you have a machine that cuts, then put it to work, and improve it as you go. Once you have an operable lathe, you can make any type of adapter, cut any kind of sheave, etc., you need, to adapt what you want to use.... and finally, if you want to try to fit in an original motor/gearbox type setup, start asking for what you think you want- there's plenty of drive parts around this forum, and we know the right people to get them moved to you at the most economical ways possible.

Thanks all good advise!

Back