Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My plate
    image.jpg

2. Likes PeteB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at the old thread and the table of dates, the table seems to omit the year 1982. It goes from 1981 to 1983 and shows the first 1983 serial number as 53100. But my plate says 11-82, ser. no. 53159.

As in cars, the real date of manufacture is often the year before the "model" date. I bought a 1998 Toyota Tacoma in September of 1997.

So is it that my tag says manufactured 11-82, but is it considered a model put out for 1983? Especially since they don't even have 1982 on the list?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 24" Model N, 1937, S/N 5485

This is on a 24" Model N. Serial Number is 5485, date built 9-1937. another brass tag on the head says "THIS MACHINE INSTALLED OCT.-1937" I guess it didn't sit around too long before they put it to work! I don't own it, but it's in my company's maintenance shop. We were not the original owner of it. It was brought in many years ago. We still use it on occasion for maintenance jobs and it runs great. Would like to get a little more RPM out of it - it tops out at 202RPM.

Vince

photo-1.jpgphoto-2.jpgphoto-3.jpgphoto-5.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had forgotten that only the IJN's Yamato and Musashi were equipped with 18" main guns.

Of course, the U.S.'s "fast" battleships were indeed equipped with 16"-50 main guns.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When at Monarch, the chief engineer compared several serial number books with actual records and they did not match up very good, so use these with caution. Some books had the serial numbers off by as much as 5 years or more, and others had complete series that did not match anything Monarch ever used. The people who made these serial number books had no contact with Monarch. Monarch at the time would have been happy to help, but they were never asked. Knowing the problems there are with Monarch, I would question the accuracy of serial numbers for any company listed.

Early Monarch serial numbers had the model letter and the sequence number. Later models only had the sequence numbers. Once Monarch assigned a serial number, it was not used again. This caused gaps in the serial numbers as sales assigned these to orders or anticipated orders and were concealed or not received. Some serial numbers had postfix -AT, or -HT, etc. these designated Air Tracer or Hydraulic Tracer. Early NC machines has the postfix -NC. Government orders had the prefix G (G12345). During the years I worked there the EE was the only machine that still had the model prefix.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
    Looking at the old thread and the table of dates, the table seems to omit the year 1982. It goes from 1981 to 1983 and shows the first 1983 serial number as 53100. But my plate says 11-82, ser. no. 53159.

As in cars, the real date of manufacture is often the year before the "model" date. I bought a 1998 Toyota Tacoma in September of 1997.

So is it that my tag says manufactured 11-82, but is it considered a model put out for 1983? Especially since they don't even have 1982 on the list?
    MONARCH stamped the plates the month and year the lathe was completed, which often was a day or two before shipping,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I must have a really old Monarch says 1906 on my plate. Has a later model 110 volt motor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0266.jpg   dscf0267.jpg   dscf0259.jpg  
    Last edited by Tooljac; 08-29-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: add 3rd picture

Post Thanks / Like

Glad the photo posting worked out for you Tooljac. That is the early gear head. Here is a related scan by John Legge - thanks to Greg Menke for hosting

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/...e-brochure.pdf

Here is a much larger version of the same style gear head:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ersMonarch.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=

beautiful lathe, the earliest it could be is a 1913-14. Monarch open its doors in Oct 1909. The plate you see ref. a patent dated 1906.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can Any one tell me about what it might be worth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tooljac View Post
    Can Any one tell me about what it might be worth
    Not much. Follow some listings like this one and see if they ever sell. I would say on this one on CL he needs to come down a lot more and still may never move it.

1906 Monarch lathe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty old thread, so let's bring it back to the top with a query regarding an EE purported to be a 1941, which based on the information regarding serial numbers may well indeed be that vintage. Anyway, I'm the latest caretaker but unfortunately, it doesn't have a data plate. So I'm pleased to come across this thread and my only hard information regarding the vintage is stamped into the right side of the ways:

Inspected By TLM Lot No-EE15178 (with an interesting looking symbol after).
    stamped-inspected-tlm-lot-no-ee15178.jpg

Any further info appreciated.

John
    407-302-3361

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    This is on a 24" Model N. Serial Number is 5485, date built 9-1937. another brass tag on the head says "THIS MACHINE INSTALLED OCT.-1937" I guess it didn't sit around too long before they put it to work! I don't own it, but it's in my company's maintenance shop. We were not the original owner of it. It was brought in many years ago. We still use it on occasion for maintenance jobs and it runs great. Would like to get a little more RPM out of it - it tops out at 202RPM.

Vince
    Well, since the thread's been brought back, I'll mention that last year I picked up the younger, but bigger brother to this machine, a 27" (30.5") N,, 180"C/C SN#26715. Tops out at 303rpm, so they must have upgraded the spindle bearings. Came out of the MIT Bates Linear Accelerator Lab, previously it was an ORNL machine. Feb, 1945 date on the tag. Came with an 18" Buck six jaw Adjust-Tru chuck that's probably worth more than the rest of the machine. Haven't got juice to it yet, but I saw it running at the lab, so hopefully it won't be an adventure getting it going...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
    Pretty old thread, so let's bring it back to the top with a query regarding an EE purported to be a 1941, which based on the information regarding serial numbers may well indeed be that vintage. Anyway, I'm the latest caretaker but unfortunately, it doesn't have a data plate. So I'm pleased to come across this thread and my only hard information regarding the vintage is stamped into the right side of the ways:

stamped-inspected-tlm-lot-no-ee15178.jpg

Any further info appreciated.

John
    407-302-3361
    John, pretty sure thats been restamped. Monarch never put all that info in the bed stamp ... just "EE 15178" with the numbers the same size as the double-E's. The bed was likely ground at some point and whoever did it had the good sense to at least stamp the serial back on.

I have pictures of EE-14331 which is a 1942, then EE-15680 (1942), then EE-15847 (1942). Yours is definately 1942.

Mine is a square dial (1952) so you will need to connect with someone here with an early-40's model to compare serial stamps. Fyi Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a couple more 10 EE #'s
    #52515 3-1985

#53502 11-1985

8 months,5 years apart 987#s serial #s apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
    The "fused bomb" insignia is for the US Army Ordnance Corps.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a stamp that I always thought was US Army ordnance corps, but it has a pair of crossed cannons. I'm away from home right now, but I will post a picture when I am back home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two crossed cannons are for the Artillery Corps, which is distinct from the Ordnance Corps.

The former deals only with artillery, while the latter deals with all types of explosives including artillery rounds.

Google: us army artillery corps insignia

Google: us army ordnance corps insignia

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the clarification Leigh.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Mississippi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20151116_113828.jpg

Here is the plate on the 10 x 20 EE that I bought in a GSA Auction last Friday. I found my way to this site because of this purchase.
    The picture was vertical when I uploaded it, not sure how it changed.