What's new
What's new

monarch series 60\61 parts

eddietime

Plastic
after doing some talking and looking at parts books, it looks like my lathe is a 13"x54. or if there are any experts that could shed a little light on my lathe, that would be appreciated, i am just a novice

serial tag states

14" catalogue size
16.5 swing
serial 40465
built 12-1954

need standard end gear parts and lead screw, let me know if you have some parts around.

Here is a link to some of the best information on Monarch lathes in one place. You need to read through and gather what pertains to your lathe. A lot of information for one model crosses over to other models so the more you read the more you will understand. Just use proper parts books for your model.

Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Its better to continue the thread that you started the other day as long as its a continuing subject. Ask another question you have to bring it back up the list.
You will be able to ask better more specific questions by reading more and understanding terminology. There are many members that know every part of your lathe but asking to tell you about your model is better read on the websites that offer information.

These books in the links below are a little outdated but a lathe is a lathe and all the basics still apply to your lathe. Reading this book is a must for a newcomer. Your lathe has more features. Please read is worth the time.
There are two halves to the book. Hope I got it right.
One more thing. Not knowing you and your general machine knowledge. These machines rip off arms and even kill. Make every move decisive and never get too comfortable or lax'ed

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - How To Run A Lathe 55th Edition | VintageMachinery.org

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - How to run a lathe for the beginner | VintageMachinery.org

I think this is the right book
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Series 610 and 612 Lathes - Parts Catalog | VintageMachinery.org

so i've operated a lathe and mill before, but my current skills are still just simple machining. anyway, getting back to my lathe. i've been through the series 61 parts book and everything in it looks like the 13" lathe. my confusion is why they don't call out a 14" anywhere. another user had suggested it could be a series 60 but my gear box is fully enclosed like the series 61 and does not have the open tumbler lever like a series 60.

so i've operated a lathe and mill before, but my current skills are still just simple machining. anyway, getting back to my lathe. i've been through the series 61 parts book and everything in it looks like the 13" lathe. my confusion is why they don't call out a 14" anywhere. another user had suggested it could be a series 60 but my gear box is fully enclosed like the series 61 and does not have the open tumbler lever like a series 60.

If you look at page 8 of this 1956 Series 60 publication, you will see mention of 14" and 16":
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Series 60 Engine and Toolmaker's Lathes - Manual | VintageMachinery.org
The pdf:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/19569.pdf

On page 17 of this 1955 catalog, you will see a series 60 with enclosed qcgb the same as the 61 series:
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Monarch Turning Machines | VintageMachinery.org
the pdf:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17199.pdf

I have not seen a Series 61 with a 14" swing, not to say it doesn't exist, just never saw one, or in a publication. However, the 1948 series 60 catalog shows a 14":
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Series 60 Engine and Toolmakers Lathes | VintageMachinery.org
The pdf:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/19731.pdf

A Series 61 is an evolved Series 60. When the 60 first came out in the late 1940's, the qcgb was open. But by the early to mid 1950's it was closed. Its my understanding that by the time all the updates/upgrades were in place on the 60, that they just changed the name to Series 61. There's not a lot of info I've found on it, plus not a good manual or catalog from like 1953-54 that I have found yet either.

If I recall, this guys Series 60 is from 1953 or 54:
AlwaysSunnyintheShop - YouTube

thanks for the help and tips, i don't see alot of info out there either on a series 60. may contact monarch themselves for a little help. they did price me a couple gears and i about fell over. hence why i'm looking for a dismantled machine

thanks again

Back