What's new
What's new

Monarch Series 61 Apron Pump Not Working

nt1953

Hot Rolled
I took the apron off, removed the sump, removed the oil pump, cleaned everything, checked the oil pump to verify that it pumped (it did) and reassembled. After filling with oil, I turned the hand wheel (a lot) which should have made the pump pump oil, but I got nothing.

Suggestions?

Plugged meter units?

I had one that sat a long time, I filled the apron with wd40, and after a few wks it started working. Just apply way lube by hand till the system starts doing something or you have to tear into it.

Unless it's a like new bed, then do more investigating.

Most likely metering units plugged. I have this problem on my Series 60 end gear oiling system. I have been soaking my metering units for more than a month in lacquer thinner. Still plugged. I will probably eventually get new ones.

I am parting out a series 60/61 16 by 54. It appears that the apron oiling system is working on it. At least I get oil out the top of the apron when I rotate the handle. I will have other parts also.

Mike

I bought new metering valves for my 16CY from Monarch. They are more reasonable than you might think. Also, check the condition on the pump. Mine was worn down where it rode on the handweel shaft eccentric. I built it back up with some braze. You can tell if it needs this fix by looking at the stroke length.

I took the apron off, removed the sump, removed the oil pump, cleaned everything, checked the oil pump to verify that it pumped (it did) and reassembled. After filling with oil, I turned the hand wheel (a lot) which should have made the pump pump oil, but I got nothing.

Suggestions?

I see re-assembled, but curious if its mounted to carriage again. The top surface that mates to carriage has an open hole that feed oil into carriage. And inside of carriage there is a tree of meter units.

Now some of pump pressure will feed internals of apron, which should also be metered. But the top hole out of apron is not metered yet, so if apron not mounted yet, I expect oil to come out there.

I think 10ee's have two oil pumps in apron, maybe these do as well, but I didn't get that far yet.

A look at all the metering units in carriage here:
Getting a Monarch Series 61 Back in Service

I'm opting to feed carriage external of the apron, so apron will not lose oil during operation, and show the route I'm taking for that side of it anyway in that link.

I installed a new pump on my 10ee, the pump was fine but the check valves were worn out and allowing the oil to leak back. Even with the new pump, it took a really long time for the oil to pump to the saddle (I had the cross slide and compound removed so I can see it pump through).

Not sure about your lathe, but if the machine is on, it should be pumping oil, even if carriage is not moving. The pump has a cam that allows it to pump from handle being turned or the lowed rod that powers the carriage and cross feed. I think it was Cal Haines that explained it in my thread.

I multiple issues on my 10ee
bad check valves
dirty metering unit (just replace them)
corroded supply lines

I just recently had to add some oil to my sump. Hope this helps.

Run lathe for 1/2 hour with feed rod turning at a quick pace and if the system works, oil will start showing. I have to admit; I have done the pump-only service before, where I refurbish pump, then remove all wipers and blast non-flammable solvent (CRC Brakleen) between the carriage & ways, then vacuuming from the opposite side. Repeat this LOTS of times. LOTS! And of course I move the carriage as far as possible between sessions to see if any crap is still there. Lots of vacuum, spray, wipe until no crud or particles show.

Lucked out and had all oil ways flowing after that. BUT, on my Series 60 I removed and replaced ALL meters & completely cleaned the lines. Quicky clean (that isn't so quick) did not work on the 60. Did on the 10EE's though!

Back