What's new
What's new

Monarch Series 61 at TVA - big and bigger

Glug

Hot Rolled
Nice setting for a 20x144" Series 61 at TVA.

"Good news everyone! We're getting a 12 foot Monarch. But we didn't spend the extra for rapid traverse."

1954 Monarch Lathe - GovDeals.com

1577_3593_4.jpg

Probably in excellent shape, you know it was rarely used coming from a federal agency. I can't believe it doesen't look like it has 30 coats of paint on it though. That is bizarre as I thought it was a mandate all fed machines got painted every 10 years regardless! lol

Sold for $1000, kind of sad.

It looks like it is turning a Bridgeport mill. I guess that would be considered close in work. That's why the ways always get worn close to the chuck.

Probably in excellent shape, you know it was rarely used coming from a federal agency. I can't believe it doesen't look like it has 30 coats of paint on it though. That is bizarre as I thought it was a mandate all fed machines got painted every 10 years regardless! lol

Depends on what it is and what regulations cover it.

Some equipment it is no longer permitted to all-over point or do more than a certain amount of repairs to after X years - the expected max service life set up when it was first acquired. This to prevent trying to keep civil war steam locomotives running just because with enough taxpayer money spent, one could do.

At nine years, we were limited to "spot" painting an Oxygen generating plant still in balls-to-the walls 24 X 6 use. They had only a ONE year life before rebuild. Ours had been. More than once. Then we would spot paint again later.

By the third go all the spots had overlapped and we were good on paint 'til next time.

Repair parts were harder.

Not always as dumb as it sounds, but sometimes.

:)

Back