What's new
What's new

Need help naming pulley bolt 10EE

bll230

Hot Rolled
I have been chasing noise on my lathe, and have been pretty successful. As I have reduced the noise on the lathe I noticed that there was play on my right idler causing noise, and investigating I noticed that the bolt is obviously not original. The head of this bolt is too small to properly secure the pulley bearings. It is also possible that the chamfer on the id of my replacement MRC bearings is different than the original New Departures, so the bolt used to be good, but is not now. In any event, what do you call this kind of thin head bolt? I cannot find anything with a large enough head on McMaster, etc.

IMG_0954.jpg

Due to the overwhelming lack of bolts out there, I decided to loctite the bearing stack on with 290. No bolt needed.

I wouldn't have guessed this was a specific Monarch part.

Maybe that is why I have a no good non-standard part already.

It is 3190, I just feel silly ordering a bolt from Monarch.

Since the bolt is just a retainer in this case, the pulley stack is not tightened down on, simply captured, Loctite works even better than a bolt since the stack can be glued on with no play. The only downside is it will ruin the bearing to press it off. However, since the bearings are new there should be no reason to need to press them off until they are bad anyway.

Back