What's new
What's new

Monarch steady rests

jasaw

Aluminum
So I like many of the forum members here have a monarch lathe that is missing the steady rest. We are then faced with the task of either buying a donor machine with the rests on them, or making/fabricating one of our own, or searching the internet trying to find one. I had a thought and I'm looking for some feedback on this, has there been any discussion on having new ones cast from existing factory rests? Maybe having them 3D printed for casting patterns? Any thoughts or ideas out there? Lets hear them. Thanks

I went down that road 25+ years ago with a 12CK. It was easier to fab and certainly quicker that calling the usual suspects looking for one to purchase or one for a pattern.

I see a whole lot of either make it look perfect or like you just don't care. Personally neat and functional is the ultimate goal, I'm not a collector and re-sale value is not a personal agenda. The value of fabrication is that you can get whatever your desire.

Just a thought, One of the guys that works here purchased a lathe with no Steady rest. 20 Inch swing.
I let the guys use the shop after hours from time to time for personal projects. He CAD drafted a steady rest and blew it out of 1.250 A-36 steel on the CNC high Def table.
A little basic finish machine work and 3 sealed bearings, some gray paint and you would be hard pressed to tell it's not a factory unit. Total time on the table was about 15 minutes, so I just wondering if you have a local CNC cutting business with a draft person this should be pretty easy to pull off with the right shop. Cost is always the devil in the works..

So I like many of the forum members here have a monarch lathe that is missing the steady rest. We are then faced with the task of either buying a donor machine with the rests on them, or making/fabricating one of our own, or searching the internet trying to find one. I had a thought and I'm looking for some feedback on this, has there been any discussion on having new ones cast from existing factory rests? Maybe having them 3D printed for casting patterns? Any thoughts or ideas out there? Lets hear them. Thanks

What is the lathe steady you need?

With that said if I make my own steady I would like to have some pictures or dimensions of the factory steady rest so I can fabricate or cast new ones as close to the originals as I can get. I would like to see a factory roller type steady to get some measurements off of it and go from there. I thought about making one or two out of steel but have reservations about clamping the steel to the ways of the machine. I think cast iron would be the way to go. I could fab something and have a cast plate on the bottom bolted or fastened to a welded/fab up rest.

This photo looks like a flimsy example but for a one off steady rest two 1/2" plates cut to your pattern and solid blocking at the base , hinge points and where the jaws are located. Add as much solid sandwiched in between as you feel is needed. No casting required.
All off the shelf stock. This was my plan for an old 22" swing Cincinnati.
Its a common design for steady rests

s-l1600.jpg

I hear what your saying about casting for monarch lathes. Choosing a size that most needed. A 10 ee will cost $600.used. Your 16" I haven't t priced.
. If someone could cast steady rests in one inch increments say 8" up to 20" with a removable base that can be milled to fit any lathe , or an adjustable base. That may sell.. Initial cost would be the issue.
So many different widths.
Most here can buy one close to size and modify the base. Large steady's even old ones are costly..

Back