What's new
What's new

Monrach 61 vs. 71

Sinplicity

Plastic
I've been looking at an upgraded manual lathe for the shop. Been on the hunt for a quality model 61. Recently ran across a model 71 that is actually local so it won't have to be shipped halfway across the country. Problem is I can't find much info on the 71. Is it just the 61's big brother? I'm going to try and look at it tomorrow. Any info is appreciated.

The 71 is a very different lathe than a 61; the 71 AFAIK is the last iteration of the larger EE type lathe. It is the final version of the 13ee/1000EE. A very nice machine if it is not worn out. There is a guy in Wichita that has one with a Krylon overhaul that looks nice BUT, it is priced high and missing the chip tray. Check all the speed ranges and feeds.

Steve

Comparing the 61 to the 71 is like comparing a Chevy to a Caddy. They are not close to being in the same class. The Series 61 is a solid precision mechanical lathe, where the Series 71 is a high precision toolroom lathe that relays heavily on electronic. If the 71 is running, everything checks out and has the capacity you are looking for, and you are not afraid of sparks; then jump on it. There is a lot of knowledge in this form on how to maintain and work the electrical side. Send pictures if you can of the machine you are considering.

John

Back