What's new
What's new

Motherload of Monarch Information

jmhoying

Hot Rolled
As I live nearby, I stopped in Monarch Lathes the other day to find information out about an older 10EE that a friend recently purchased. In the attached photo, you can see about 1/8 of the rows of file cabinets that hold the information on every Monarch Machine made. Hope they never have a fire, as I doubt that any of it has been digitized.
The staff there is very helpful.

monarch.jpg

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

As I live nearby, I stopped in Monarch Lathes the other day to find information out about an older 10EE that a friend recently purchased. In the attached photo, you can see about 1/8 of the rows of file cabinets that hold the information on every Monarch Machine made. Hope they never have a fire, as I doubt that any of it has been digitized.

View attachment 163803

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

All that would fit on a single hard drive :)

dee
;-D

I've got a couple Monarch lathes, and we are unusually lucky to have access to this type of information. Can you name another old (essentially defunct) American machine tool brand that has similar references?

I'd love to take a tour of their facility...

All that would fit on a single hard drive :)

dee
;-D

Yes but..

Didja know that ignorant low-acid paper actually has a better history of survivability and recoverability over the long history of data storage than mag tape, floppy media, rigid disk, or optical disc?

For example - the Mark One Eyeball (or camera or copier) is never at an obsolete technology, no longer available read capability, rev level, lack of 'drivers', nor overly limited as to useful recovery from partial damage.

That may change when we finally get our hands on the First Dynasty Egyptian hard-drives they scanned Papyrus onto..

but until then..

:)

Bill

Monarch still supports a lot of machines for government and major companies, they archive the entire line because, how do you distinguish the riff from the raff?

All three of my Monarch lathes were originally sold to major corporations. that I own them now is only known to Monarch because I ordered manuals and informed them of the change of ownership. GM or Exxon/Mobil could have called to order a part for one of my lathes for all Monarch knew. While replacement parts can be pricey, they are most often available. Even though most of us on the forum are not in a position to buy expensive replacement parts, Uncle Sam and the Fortune 500 don't bat an eye.

It IS amazing that a company that is a shell of its former self still supports machine 60-70 years old. My hat is off to Harry Camp and the entire staff at Monarch.

Steve

Can you name another old (essentially defunct) American machine tool brand that has similar references?

I do, but its a five letter word on here that starts with an "A". They sent me all kinds of info, including copies of a letter my Father sent back in the late 70's, asking for that same information.

back up

View attachment 163803

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio
Google is actually doing a good job scanning old books saving to digital in what appears to be digital photograph as you often see a persons hand. Google saves to multiple file formats but pdf file to the international standard is i believe what is used the most.
i myself backup files and do only changed files backup every day and save that backup to another device and both devices are changed out to larger capacity devices every few years. so having 10 or more backups on different devices is easy to do.
i do agree that some devices like tape, large 5-1/4 floppy, zip disc are best to get copies off of now. new computers reading old zip disc or 5-1/4" floppy disc is getting harder to do.

This thread got me wondering where my Monarch lathes were originally shipped to, so I sent an email to Terrie last night. Here's her response this morning:

"The 60 went to McClellan Air Force Base, and had a steady rest, follow rest,
taper attachment, and apron controlled leadscrew reverse. The EE went to
Radio Corporation of America, and had a steady rest, follow rest, taper
attachment, and a carriage micrometer stop."

Pretty cool info!

When I bought my Series 61 a couple months ago, I called, and they were very helpful with information. It's great to be able to get information on a lathe made in 1957. As stated, they will still make a steady rest, or any other part I need, although it would cost about 3 times what I paid for the lathe for a SR. Still, great to have as a source.

What's crazy is if you look on the CNC forum you have companies who want over a grand just to register with them to find out if you can get spare parts. It's super cool that Monarch keeps these records and is so responsive. It won't last forever though, and I just imagine the dsy when we find out this all went to the dumpster and there were a dozen folks ready to fork out cash (if only for travel and trsnsport) to save it.

Jack,

Who did you talk to at Monarch. When I talked to Steve he was real put off by me asking if I could come by? I am in Sidney not once a month, but my in laws are from Botkins, they all work in Sidney, and I am over to that part of the state regularly.

Maybe I need to talk to someone else? I was going to come by to tour the place, look at their archives, pick up a few parts, and just put some faces to names. Oh, and pour through whatever info they would let me look at!

I just showed up and talked to the lady at the desk. I don't think a tour of the facility (now not much more than one large workroom) is really something they do much of?
Jack

Jack,

Who did you talk to at Monarch. When I talked to Steve he was real put off by me asking if I could come by? I am in Sidney not once a month, but my in laws are from Botkins, they all work in Sidney, and I am over to that part of the state regularly.

Maybe I need to talk to someone else? I was going to come by to tour the place, look at their archives, pick up a few parts, and just put some faces to names. Oh, and pour through whatever info they would let me look at!

This is why when somebody complains about the price of a Monarch manual I say consider it a donation to the Monarch foundation and get it. Seeing as how I have older equipment that I have tried like crazy to find info for an dnothing, I think it is fantastic that Monarch can provide anything at all, much less all that they do!

This is why when somebody complains about the price of a Monarch manual I say consider it a donation to the Monarch foundation and get it. Seeing as how I have older equipment that I have tried like crazy to find info for and nothing, I think it is fantastic that Monarch can provide anything at all, much less all that they do!

Indeed! The other day, Scott Foster at Monarch talked me through a gearbox adjustment procedure. I casually mentioned that my 10EE basket case was missing the entire A-B gear selector knob assembly. He replied that they had a used one they would sell me for $50. So yesterday I ordered it, along with a set of felt wipers, a set of oil metering units, and a flat feed belt. Yes, I could have found a substitute for the flat belt for less than the $141 Monarch wanted for it, but the extra cost was more than made up for by the free advice and offering me a used assembly at an excellent price. I have nothing but praise for Monarch and the folks who work there. Long may they prosper!

Alan

I met Scott Foster last Fall. He races drag cars (1000hp Dodge Intrepid) and are somewhat partnered up with an acquaintance of ours who races a rail. Scott is the main mechanic for both cars.
Jack

I have called twice some years apart with the serial # and only info I could get was IF it was made it would be a 14" swing.

Hendeyman may not have all the information on the Hendey line of machine tools but he has an extensive collection on the Tool and Gagemaker lathe. This includes the original purchaser and also how the lathe was equipped on shipment. But, what is even more impressive is the number of engineering drawing which he sells.

Over the years I have purchased perhaps 150 drawings from him and used these to rebuild my T&G and also make a follower rest. I am almost finished with an optimal “autostop feature” and will follow that up with a taper attachment.

Back