What's new
What's new

motor generator & DC Motor lubrication

rimcanyon

Diamond
Searched the forum but did not find the answer: how many lubrication points are there for DC motor and motor generator?

On my 49 10EE, there are two zerks on pipe extensions, one appears to go to either the front bearing in the DC generator, or the rear bearing in the AC drive motor. The other goes to the rear bearing for the 3HP Reliance drive motor.

However, the manual I have (for a 58 Wiad machine) has this to say:

Motor Generator and Exciter (Back of cover - three grease fittings - see footnote). The footnote says: No longer furnished. Electronic converter now standard.

Main drive motor Grease every 12 mos. Sealed bearings, use caution to prevent seal blowout.

So I seem to be missing some grease points.

Very little, the damage that grease on the brushes will do is ugly...1 pump every 2 years...Phil

Good point. On my machine, the only fitting is at the rear end of the DC motor and DC generator. No fittings on the exciter or the brush end of the other two. So maybe they eliminated fittings due to the problem you mention. Need to disassemble the units to lube the other bearings.

Thanks Bill, but as I said, I see nothing in those locations on the 49. Would like to hear from someone with a similar vintage machine to mine, or newer. If you have the grease fittings, please post a photo.

Dave,

My 1948 square-dial DC motor has a brass tag on it that calls for greasing the motor twice a year. It also states that the bearings are double-shield ball bearings. I think the tag only applies to the rear bearing; it appears that the motor's front bearing is lubricated by oil from the back-gear unit. Looking at the back of the motor, there's a threaded hole for a grease fitting at 9 O-clock and a plug to let out excess grease at 4 O'clock.

IMG_9923.jpg

The front bearing is a Federal 207 FF. I don't know about the rear bearing.

Cal

Thanks, Cal.

That is an interesting plate. It says ... force in grease until just ⅛ inch comes out any hole of the keystone fitting.

I googled keystone fitting, but its meaning is unknown to Google...

I don't know either. I think you're supposed to pull the plug at 4 O'clock and add grease until a bit comes out the plug side, but there's only one hole there, so "comes out any hole" makes no sense.

Cal

Back